Chapter 4. Flood Rising.

.Natalia.

It took me a few seconds, but my eyes blinked a few times, adjusting just enough to the glowing light peeking through the open blinds, before moving my feet down to to sit on my sore ass, and quickly looking over to Harry. He was still asleep in his bed, everything peaceful and uneventful.

Last night I'd curled myself into the chair, resting my head at a weird angle against the padding of the furniture, so now my neck was killing me from the muscle strain. I've slept for a couple of hours, my body still shivering with cold from the lack of a cover up and proper rest. I rubbed my eyes and quickly checked the vitals of the patient, the monitors and the saline still etched to his left hand.

My eyes were silently envying that he was probably resting in the most serene slumber, somewhere safe. I rearranged the single soft blanket over him as carefully as I could, then I watched him sleep for a few moments.
He was even more beautiful in the morning light, and I couldn't help but sigh in delight.
Maybe I needed to go to the nurse's station, steal a large cup of coffee, and get a grip on myself.

"Just take a picture of him... get it out of your system."

I jumped at the sound of Brett's amused and sarcastic voice, and he was standing by the door, all freshened up, with a gigantic smile and two cups of coffee that just smelled incredible. I made a mocking gaze back at him and stuck my tongue out.

"Good morning."

"Morning," he mumbled, and looked a bit amused, probably deciding not to drop the tone of the conversation. "Coffee?"

"Thank you, I really need this." I took the familiar styrofoam cup and entertained myself with it, while the probable blush on my face subsided.

"Now I get what all the fuss is about, I googled him last night." Brett mentioned as he casually walked to the bed to take the chart again. "And Lily was all but screaming her head off."

"Well, it's Lily, she's always screaming at something." I smiled through the first sip of my coffee, the wavering smell awakening my senses. "And he is a huge celebrity, of course she's going to be... excited." I cleared my throat, distracting my mouth from speaking any further by taking a second gulp of coffee, scalding my tongue in the process. Fuck!

"Oh, I know, but the thing is..." He grinned in response. "I never expected this from you."

"Expected what?"

"You, flustered over some guy!" He was now fully laughing at my face, and I wanted to drown his judging smirk with my still very hot coffee. "I'm not blind."

"You don't even know what you're saying."

"Did you stared at him all night?"

I flipped him off, at the very same second that Dr. M entered the room for the first time.

Shit!

She smiled knowingly, before firing us both with all sorts of questions about the state of the patient. I stood up straight, forgetting all about Brett's antics and I deposited the cup on one of the tables and answered them fully and on my best, disguising that I was really tired and that my eyes were barely responding.

We were running a couple more tests, before my change of shift. So naturally, after not finishing my cup of coffee, my movements were kind of robotic and stiff and I tried to keep up with the instructions given out to me, but the previous nights were already taking a toll on my tired body. I needed my own bed, and a shower, and some decent food.

I tried to help as much as I could, and ended up staying after 4 pm; but after realizing that I was completely fried, I opened my mouth to say goodbye to them all, when we heard a disturbance of diverse sounds just outside of the door.