Chapter 17. Letting Go.

.Natalia.

We didn't speak in the car. I stared down at my lap, feeling the need to end all of this, as Harry kept his gaze straight ahead, his lips pursed in a tiny pout.
How had it come to this?
The better question, I thought brutally, was how could it have not? It had been nice knowing him, the night shifts and the talks were my favorite part of the journey, but I wasn't missing the absurdity of the circumstances, and this was becoming all too fucking much for me to handle.
After mumbling a couple directions, we reached my very familiar street in silence and Sean pulled the car in front of the sidewalk.

"Do you want Sean to take you inside?" Harry said brusquely, his eyes shifting from looking at my house to look back at me. "Make sure everything's safe?"
He didn't wait for me to say goodbye, handing me the lovely flowers, while I fussed with the plastic bag containing my house keys, the strands of my hair a dark curtain in front of my face and my mind scrambling to find what to say. There was nothing more to do, nothing more to say but goodbye.

I looked sideways at Harry, his eyes were soft and kind, and he looked at me with the sweetest smile. Neither one of us looked away, as if we were reaching for something deeper. I felt something that I couldn't describe in his gaze, like I had known him all my life.

"If you don't mind Sean—" I began, the voice so hesitant and troubled. "Harry, it's been..."
What else could I possibly say? Nice? Weird? Unexpected?

"Some weird circumstances to meet, huh?" For a brief moment he closed his eyes and inhaled a deep breath, as if he was trying to suppress the anger that seemed to have crept up on him. Delicately, he brushed it again. "Go check the house, I'll be right here."

He stayed in the car as I made the tiniest hand wave at Harry, along with the stupidest mumble between a faint goodbye and an agreement.

Sean took my plastic bag and keys, opening my tiny house and the smell of my furniture was wafting around us immediately. I examined through the empty spaces on my range of vision.
I was feeling cautious, despite the fact that the door was locked and the police department had attained over my property for the last few days.
I placed my flowers on the nearest table, before smelling them thoroughly.
Sean was quickly checking on the shady spots of the house and I was holding my breath as my eyes were taking the last step of stairs, the memory of being tied down in there drafting through my mind, evoking hard memories.

Almost in an instant, I felt my injured hand jumping a little as a reaction, my fingers still stiffened and feeling that they were not part of my body. My feet were moving my body close to the wall by the stairs, where I stayed with my head looking to the ceiling, all but groaning in disagreement of my behavior towards Harry for the last hours.
Yes, the day events were taking a toll on me, but he wasn't really the one to blame for all of this craziness. He'd been nothing but nice to me, and he even found me in that bus stop to take me home.

"You don't have to stay here, you know?" Sean's voice was behind me, and I looked at him as he opened and closed doors behind me. "I'm pretty sure Harry can arrange something for you."

"Maybe there's no need, everything seems quite normal in here." I tried to look unbothered as I kept my pace behind him, climbing the stairs to the second floor. I needed to get started on things, moving silently as my eyes were looking up at the semi-closed door of my bedroom, where I could see my full length mirror and the comfortable bed placed by the wall at the end of the room. "I'm a big girl."

"I'm not stating the opposite, but this is serious stuff, you shouldn't be on your own."

I tried to ignore his comment, when he touched my shoulder with his hand, and I stopped. My sight was leveled perfectly with the ground, when I stumbled upon something. As he opened the door, everything was scattered around, as if somebody, and the worst is that I knew who was that somebody, had gone through all of my stuff, the clothes and shoes scattered on the floor, weird long markings scratching the walls and the long window was shattered, sending mild wind streams in our direction.
My body was feeling hot glued to the spot.
It couldn't be.
Still, I stayed behind, wanting to rub my eyes to get better vision, everything in my room was ruined.