Chapter 22. Friendship Nature.

.Natalia.

It was a very different but delicious dinner, followed by the witnessing of Harry helping out with the dishes and the family gathering in the fireplace room; where I stared into the shadows, enjoying the quiet, family togetherness, before we all retired to the bedrooms to get over this stretched out day that felt like it was never ending.
With so much on my mind, it was impossible to sleep, but I kept pacing through my room wondering if this was all real, if I was really so many miles away from home, having dinner with people that were almost strangers to me, but never dared to treat me as one. I was truly delighted.

The rain still fell against the large window of my bedroom, even after hours of listening to the steady noise. I pursued the idea of a hot shower to help me relax, and I finally sat down by the rainy glass, running my hand through my very wet hair, feeling the tangled strands twisted together, too damn lazy to find a brush.

I groaned slightly, thinking suddenly of the envelope and jumping on my feet, I kneeled by the furniture to retrieve it, swinging my head and hair to the side to look for it underneath the wood.

A sudden angry hiss startled me, making me jump a mile and my legs retreating my body against the bed. The damn cat, Clusky or Corey, or whatever the name was.
Fuck!

"How did you get in here, creature of Satan?" One minute I was able to see the bright eyes, and then it was further inside his spot, leaving me no choice but to stand up and open my door, in case he wanted to get out. "Fine, have it your way then."

Setting my phone back on the stand, I bent my legs up toward my chest, pulling the thick blankets up to my waist, and stretching my recovering hand into the rest of the mattress, away from my body, to find a comfortable side for the night.

***

It was no use, I gave up what felt like an eternity later, while I spent most of the time turning and listening to the damn cat rustling around the floor; there was no sleep coming for me.
I walked into the hallway, my eyes slowly adjusting to the darkness and soon going down the stairs, struck by how quiet it all seemed, glad that the fluffy socks on my feet were padding the noise of my footsteps, to avoid waking anyone up.

At the last step of the stairs, the fabric of my socks slipped from the heavily waxed dark wood floor, making my whole body lose control and landing on my ass in a heavy thunk and a loud "ooh" coming out of my surprised lips.

Shit!
The pain shooting through my legs and butt was momentary, and I looked down at my sock covered feet, wondering if it was better to just take them off so the wandering through the floor was not going to turn out to be a deadly task.
My fingers pulled each of the socks off, balling them into my hand as I was standing up from the floor in a graceless way and made it finally to the kitchen entrance, rubbing my ass on the way.

The vintage sideboard, and the kitchen island were the first spots I could highlight in the dim area, I used the tip of my finger to roam the nearest wall, in search of a light switch, but I found none. I kept tracing the possible spots for an energy contact to appear, but there was nothing.
I wanted to laugh at my own luck, when a dark figure made its own way into my range of vision. It was a shadow moving through the garden, possibly made up by my own twisted mind because everybody was sleeping and the whole house was dead.

Dropping the socks on the floor, my hand was clumsily touching the surface of the counter to find something to hold on to, my startled fingers opening the first drawer and taking the first thing in there, just in time for the shadow to cross the door.