Chapter 6. Fear of Sleep.

.Harry.

A small hand was clutching mine. It was kindly rubbing me and creating a small wave of comfort, so damned warm, it feelt like the touch invaded my bloodstream.
A second of tranquility filled me as I looked at the complete stranger looking down at me, but then her eyes filled with panic and I was left with a certain fright rushing through me.
Something in the back of my mind was telling me I should be alarmed; it was that deep unsteady feeling that everything's gone to shit, numbed with a certain heavy haze that started to lift the moment my eyes took in the bright ample space. I was in a hospital, for sure.

It still wasn't enough to understand what the hell happened or who the hell she was.
She smiled at me gently, but I was really upset, as I noticed that something was shoved down my throat and that it bothered me a lot, I tried to move but she was touching my shoulder lightly.

"Don't worry and don't move, I'll help you with that."
I listened to her. I was probably still under the influence of some type of sedative, which made me stay fixed physically, but I was able to be mentally aware of my surroundings. I had no memory of being held down like this, her hands were soft against me as she helped me remove that awful thing from me. I felt a strong urge to gag and I'm groaning in distress.
This was extremely unpleasant, and there were a million questions drifting through my mind as I was being freed of that torture.

"How are you feeling?" She asked me and I turned my full attention to her now.
I tried to say something to her but there was a discomforting pain somewhere on my chest. I wanted to touch my own body, and I wanted to know what happened, but I could only move my hand to make a thumbs down sign to show her that I was feeling like shit. Truly.

"Yeah, I'd be feeling the same, are you in any pain?" I moved my finger again to say an idiot "yes", and she shakes her head in agreement. "Let me call your nurse to give you something for it, I'll be right back."

She walked out of the room as I took everything in around me, looking again at the slight glow of the day that was just passing through the window. I was feeling a little cold and it seemed like very early in the morning.
I used the time being by myself, to try to say a word out loud, but my throat was really sore, and I stayed there completely miserable.

For a couple of minutes I tried to move a little, starting with my hands, and then she walked back in with another woman and she was cheerfully greeting me and sticking a needle to the tube on my arm.
I couldn't help but feel the need to close my eyes again and pretend that they were not there, looking at me like this.

The problem was that as soon as I closed my eyes, an irksome memory was unsettling at me, but my head felt way too heavy to remember it all.
I was painfully reminded of those eyes and those words, and the awful agony on my chest.
I couldn't bring my mind around fast enough to remember anything else after that, but there thoughtless flashes were enough to creep the hell out of me.
I opened my eyes again just to catch a simple smile of the nurse, and the other woman sitting down slowly in a chair next to my bed. I followed her with my eyes as she was making herself comfortable, there.
She was not leaving.

"What..." My throat was sore and I tried to gulp down a few times to get the words out right. "Happened?"

"I think we should wait for your doctor to explain everything to you." Her voice was calmly sweet and she looked quite young.

"Aren't you a..."

"Doctor? No, not there yet, but will be someday."

"Nurse?"

"Nope, student." It made a lot of sense, but now I was wondering what was she doing sitting down in that chair in the middle of the night, and why there was no one else familiar around.