Chapter Twenty Three: I Think I Love You

"You lied!?" I yelled as soon as we walked through the door. I decided to hold my tongue while in the office because I knew once we made it home, I could chew him out as much as I want. "You spied!?" Louis mocked my tone as he removed his jacket and laid it on the counter. "This isn't about that right now. I can't believe you told them I was pregnant," I said as I ran a hand through my hair. "Well at least it'll be the truth in a little while," he said and I groaned. "But it's not the truth right now," I whined, walking to the couch and sitting down with a sigh. I don't understand how he can remain so calm while telling a lie as big as that one. I crack under even a small amount of pressure yet he's able to remain completely stoic and unbothered. I guess you can really notice the age difference in times like these. Louis sighed as well and sat next to me, his gaze on my face.

He placed a finger under my chin, lifting my head up to meet his eyes. "Shall we make it true?" He asked as he stared into my eyes with his sharp, blue orbs. I couldn't help but be mesmerized as I stared back at him. I quickly snapped out of it and averted my gaze, my head whipping away. He was trying to hypnotize me. I'm sure he can't do that. Oh shut up, who's side are you on? "We have to wait until my next breeding period," I said and Louis just continued staring at me. "But... What will happen if they find out I'm not pregnant?" I asked as my head turned back towards Louis. He rubbed his chin in thought before shrugging. "They'd probably revoke the company and force me to take Conrad as my breeder," Louis answered and my mouth dropped. "They'd really do that? Wait,  can they even do that?" I squeaked and Louis nodded. "Damn, your parents are worst than mines," I commented as I shook my head.

Louis smiled at that before standing and walking towards the kitchen. "They'd been so pissed when I chose Andy over Conrad. He was kind of like a reject, you know. Really Frail, weak, and sickly. He was also pretty useless. Couldn't cook or clean. I guess those kinds of breeders are my type. You know, the useless kind like you," Louis continued and I scoffed. "I can cook and clean. I just don't do it for you," I barked and Louis snickered. My eyes followed him as he resumed speaking once again. "They were so set on him not being able to have any children, but he proved them wrong," a soft smile crossed Louis' lips as he chopped something on the kitchen counter. "How did they die?" I popped the big question that I'd been wondering about since I've learned of Andy. Louis went silent for a moment, the only sound being the chopping he was doing in the kitchen. I bit my bottom lip, suddenly regretting even asking him about it.

"They were hit by a truck," Louis finally said as he lifted his head. "Both of them. Together." I gasped as my eyes widened. "I should have went with them. I shouldn't have let him go alone, but he said he can handle it," Louis said, his voice slightly cracking as he chopped faster.  I stood from the sofa, making my way towards him. I wrapped my arms around him from behind, resting my cheek against his broad back. "It's okay," I comforted him, "it's not your fault."

Louis shook his head, stopping his chopping. "It is," he murmured as his head hung. I spun him around, my determined eyes staring into his own. Tears had built up in them, but they were yet to fall. "It's. Not." I said sternly as a single tear slipped from Louis' left eye. Louis stared back at me before leaning in, wrapping his arms around me in a hug. I returned the gesture, giving him a slight pat on his back. I know he was almost breaking his neck in this position, but I decided that it was best not to ruin the moment this time. Look at you, getting all mature and shit. I know, I know. I flatter myself.

"So..." Louis croaked as he sat up, his face once again straight and blank as if he wasn't just having a vulnerable moment, "about this pregnancy situation." I rolled my eyes, stepping back and glaring at him. "I don't want to," I growled. "You have to," Louis countered and I huffed. "I don't have to do anything but be Levi and die," I said as I turned to walk out. I stopped in my tracks when there was a loud banging at the door. I look towards it but made no attempt to move and open it since I already knew exactly what lied behind it. I bit my lip as the banging continued and peeked back towards Louis, who was smirking towards me. "Are you going to open it?" He asked with humor in his voice and I just wanted to snatch that smirk right off his face. Louis shrugged and continued cutting something. "You're the one who wanted to be his friend," he muttered under his breath and I sighed.