Chapter Thirty Two: Birthday Problems

I grinned as Louis drove us to work, his eyes frequently glancing over at me before looking back towards the road. "Shouldn't I be the one grinning like an idiot on my own birthday ," he commented, but my smile didn't falter.

"Shhh you're going to ruin my moment,"  I hushed him as I stared blissfully out of the window. I've determined that secrets aren't really my thing. Keeping this pregnancy thing from Louis had proven to be more work than I signed up for, so the fact that I no longer had to work so hard to hide it was amazing.

I'm sure Harry had felt the same way as I did. He was probably dying to tell Nate at this very moment. I began humming a tune to myself, feeling the warm sun that was streaming through the car window on my face. Louis eyebrows scrunched up, struggling to keep his eyes on the road instead of looking at me.

"You confuse me," I heard him murmur and I chuckled. If he wasn't driving at the moment, I would have patted his shoulder. "I confuse myself sometimes too," I agreed with a large grin.

The ride continued on with my humming and Louis' confusion. I noticed that he had seemed a little too relieved when we pulled up to the office building. I guess I was acting a little too giddy for him to handle. Maybe he had became somewhat of a masochist who enjoyed my snide remarks and stubborn attitude. Oh well.

Louis and I strode into the building, a big goofy grin on my face as he watched me in amusement. I could imagine that it was quite the sight to see, especially since most of the people here have never seen any form of expression on his face besides, you know, frustration.

We had made it through the series of stares and onto the elevator, the grin never leaving my lips until we made it to the office floor. My mouth dropped when the door opened, my eyes widening like saucers at the sight.

The furniture and desk that once decorated this floor was completely removed, being replaced with multiple round tables surrounded by white chairs. A large bouquet of flowers sat in the center of each table, accompanied by two candles as well as a white napkin and tableware at every seat. Soft white lights and white tulle draped from the ceiling, creating an elegant look.

Everyone sat around and conversed, dressed in what I assume was their best attire. I could feel sweat begin to accumulate on my neck as a sense of not belonging invaded me. I had assumed by celebration at the office, they meant a happy birthday banner, some confetti, and a rectangle cake. I guess the rich can't settle for such simple things.

"Wow, you're parents really went full out, huh?" I murmured and Louis looked towards me, his eyebrow raised as a smirk graced his lips. "This little thing? This is nothing for them," he shrugged and I gapped at him. "Seriously?" I whispered and Louis nodded. "You should have seen what they had done for our 25th birthday," Louis mumbled back before his eyes darkened, seeming to remember something that had seemed rather unpleasant. He shivered and shook his head.

"Levi! Louis!" A voice shouted and my eyes traveled over to find Harry making his way over to us, a large smile like my own moments ago on his face. He was dressed in a white suit that complimented him well, his hair tied up in a bun. He linked his arm with mine as soon as he reached me, pulling me close to him.

"Are you ready?" He squealed in excitement. I smiled at his eagerness. Louis had already left us and made his way over to his parents, who stood on the far end of the room with Nate.

His mother's eyes traveled over to me, giving me a once over before scoffing returning to the conversation they were having. I swallowed the lump in my throat, my eyes watching him. What was that? What the hell did he have against me?