Chapter 16

Deborah pov
I watch as they exit the room. No one seems to notice what just happened. They all just mind their own business.
"Are you ok?" David asked while staring at my confused face.
"Ahum yeah, I just need to use the restroom" I said and he nods.
I walk out of the big room and try to find where they all went. I know that I shouldn't be sneaking on people like this but I'm so curious on what's happening.
I walk down the long hallway, and follow some shouting noises. It was definitely coming from the basement.
After finding the stairs to the basement, I stare at it wondering if I should go down or not.
Just when I was about to go down the stairs I heard a male voice that I seem to recognize.
"Deborah?" The male voice asked.
I turn around to see my childhood friend.
"It is you!" He shouts in excitement and pulled me into a hug.
"Shawn what are you doing here?" I asked after we broke the hug.
"Well...." He trial off and I stare at his outfit.
He is wearing suits and nice clothes. He looks like a men a real gentlemen.
Wow after all these years, he finally knows fashion.
"I just got invited" Shawn said.
I nodded and we stare at each other for a very long time. Memories of us playing at the playground came to my mind. He was my elementary, intermediate, and middle school bestfriend until he moved away after our 8th grade year.
"When did you come back?" I asked.
"A few days ago" he said and I was shock.
He came back a few days ago and never try to reach out to me?
"What are you doing in a place like this?" Shawn asked as he looks at me from head to toe.
I was about to answer his question until I heard a deep husky voice saying my name. I peek behind Shawn's back to see a mad David.
Shawn turns around and stares at David who is walking over to me now.
"I see you are busy" David said as he place wraps his hand around my waist.
"I Ahum, I just bump into an old friend of mine" I said nervously.
Shawn glance at David's left hand that is around my waist before looking at me.
"Mind telling me how you guys know each other?" Shawn asked me.
I bite my lower lips as I look at Shawn. When I get nervous I always bite my lower lips and I'm pretty sure Shawn knows that because he mouth something.
"I'm her husband" David said coldly.
I look at Shawns surprise face. He looked at David then back to me.
"H-husband?" Shawn stuttered.
I slowly nod my head.
Shawn stares into my eyes trying to find some sort of dishonesty. He knows me so well. He probably knows that I don't want to be in this relationship.
"I see, I am Shawn, her childhood bestfreind" Shawn said and hold out his hand but David didn't shake it. He just look at Shawn with his jaw clench tightly.
"I see that I have a lot of catching up to do. Mind if we hang out tomorrow Deborah?" Shawn asked.
"Yeah, sure" I said and I felt David's hand grip tightly on my waist. Shawn nodded and we exchange numbers while David is looking at both of us coldly.
I'm surprise that he isn't doing anything about this.
"I'll see you around" Shawn said and wave goodbye.
I let out a loud sigh after Shawn left.
"You're not going anywhere near that boy" David said coldly. I was about to say something to him until I heard a scream from the basement again.
"Was that Edward?" I asked after recognizing his voice.
"It's probably something else, come lets go back" David said and he tries to drag me with him but I refused after I heard someone yelling for help. It sounded just like Edward.
"I want to go see, he might be in danger" I said and started walking down the stairs.
"Deborah come back here!" I heard David yelled as he rush down to follow me. I started to walk faster and finally reach the basement. I heard the scream and turn to my right to see Nick beating up Edward.

I cover my mouth. Edward is bleeding a lot and he looks like he is about to die. Tears started to roll down as I continue to watch Nick beating Edward up. Obviously no one knows that I am watching this scene. I was about to scream until I felt someone twirl me around and it was David. He push my head to his chest gently, trying to cover my eyes from seeing this horrible scene. I sob on his chest. David's hand cover both of my ear and I heard a loud bang sound. It was a gun shot.
In a second, I started to scream as tears roll down. I push myself away from David and look at Edward's dead body.
"No!!" I screamed and looked at Nick who is as shock as I am to see me.
Now I see what the Mafia can do. They can kill anyone who they don't like. Even though Edward was Mafia he still got killed by a Mafia. He didn't deserve this life. He was a nice guy. He helped me with a lot of things and I couldn't even say goodbye.
This is all my fault right? Nick is probably doing this for his brother right? Or does he not like Edward too. My brain isn't processing well enough. I stumble back as Nick stood up, looking at me.
"Please don't hurt me" I manage to say.
My back hit a hard chest. Obviously it was David but I am also scare of him. He is a Mafia and he is Nick's brother. They're both the same.
"Deborah, let's get you home" David said as he look at me with guilt.
"Stay away from me!" I scream and ran upstairs. I kick off my heels and started to run as fast as I can. I don't know where I was going, but I know that I'm not going back in there.
"Deborah!" I heard David shouts behind me.
I kept running, that's all I can do for now.
I don't know how I manage to escape outside without getting lost.
I came with David's car so It looks like I'll be running back home too. I started to run towards the gate until a heard a loud beep.
"Deborah?" It was Shawn looking at me like I was crazy.
"Shawn! Help!" I scream and he immediately got out of the car.
"What's wrong?" He asked and I started to sob again. Without asking any other questions he just open the passenger door for me and I got in. He quickly rush to the driver's seat and drove off.
I don't know where Shawn was taking me but I don't care. As long as I don't get to see David's face.
Now it all made sense. He wanted me to stay by his side so I didn't have to see that horrible scene. He probably told his brother kill Edward for him. I'm surprise that he didn't do it hisself.