Daryl and a Birthday

(Set at Alexandria in season 5)

Warning: Light cussing. Some fluff. Ages 12+

Summery: You had just arrived at Alexandria. It was your 1st night there and your family was all in one house. Your Birthday was also that night so Daryl told everyone. He surprised you when you came out of the bathroom.

Rick was getting suspicious so he set up a plan with Daryl and Carol. "All right everyone, we are all sleeping in the same house tonight. They took our guns and weapons and now they are trying to split up. So to be safe, nobody leaves without telling me." We all nodded in understanding and walked into one house. The other one was left vacant.

Everyone had a spot picked out for themselves on the floor. By the time you had stopped eating you realized that there was nowhere to sleep. You stood there looking for a spot. Daryl looked at you funny trying to figure out what you were doing. "What's wrong, Sunshine?". "Nothing, I just cant find a spot to lay down.". He patted a spot next to him in the window. Surprisingly, there was enough room. There was a silence for a moment.

Daryl cleared his throat and said, "So... What is your middle name, Y/n?". You gave him a puzzled took, he looked out the window and shrugged his shoulders. "Rose. Why?". "Jus' wanted to know. Askin' questions to pass the time.". You slowly nodded your head, then you thought of a question. "When is your birthday, Daryl?". He gave a sad look before saying, "I don't know. I've never celebrated it.". "Oh. Sorry I asked." You felt bad. "Don't be. When's yours?". You mumbled, "Today...". "Sorry, I cant hear you. Can you repeat that?". You tried your best not to mumble again, "I said today." He was quiet once again and wouldn't talk to you.

"Daryl? Are you ok?" He still didn't look at you. Daryl was deep in thought. You got angry at him for ignoring you. "You know what, don't talk to me." You walked to the bathroom to brush your teeth. As you walked in you noticed that Michonne was still brushing her teeth. "Oh, sorry. I will come back in a minute.". "No, I just finished. It's all good." You brushed your teeth for what felt like forever. It had been at least 20 minutes. You rinsed out your brush an put it on the counter.

You were going to go to bed when you reached the living room but got ambushed by love. You walked through the door way and every body screamed, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!" and hugged you all at once. When everybody stepped back so you could breath, you noticed that there was still one more body attached to yours. You turned around and saw the icy eyes that you loved. "Let me guess. You planned this? Tryin' to give me a heart attack?" He smiled down at you. "Jus' for my baby." You laughed and nuzzled your face into his chest. He wrapped his arms around your small frame and kissed your head. "Happy birthday, sunshine."

This song is La Vie En Rose by Louis Armstrong.