First Day of Camps - Part Two

I placed down the last of the saddles on the stand,wiping my hands down my jodhpurs, as I took a step back admiring the tidy wall in front of me. The afternoon sessions were finally over and the last few kids were waiting out the front with Sebastian and Rebecca to be picked up.

'Last few bits and pieces and then we're all done for the day' Carol said, walking in behind me, holding out a few of the bridles and random brushes she had clearly found on her way back to the tack room.

'Let me put those away for you' I offered, reaching over to take the brushes from her hands, as she went to quickly wash the bridles.

As I stood up I heard Rebecca and Sebastian walking back into the stables.

'Some of those kids were pretty cute' Rebecca said, heading into the office across from the tack room.

'Yeah Luke and Sophie were just so excited, but they were definitely natural talents, some of those other kids were alright, but those two will come back after camps for sure' Sebastian said, walking in behind her.

I smiled remembering Luke from earlier in the week, he had been so excited when he had learned he would be taking part in the camps. Sophie reminded me of myself when I was younger, barely 12 years old and she already showed such determination to master the sport.

I made sure everything was in order in the tack room before walking across with Carol to the office. We had to all have a quick meeting to discuss today and what they basic plans were for the next day now that the initial riding sessions had happened.

I went over to the couch, leaning over to grab some paper and a pen from the desk so I could take notes if needed as we all came to an agreement on how things would run over the rest of the camp week.

David walked in, placing down some snacks left over from the lunch break on the table in the middle of the group, before taking a seat at the head of the small table.

I looked up realising then that Sebastian was sitting directly in front of me. I mentally wished I had of fixed my hair, realising it probably had started coming out of its braid and had bits of hay and things through it now.

I offered a smile before being distracted by David started to speak up about his plans. I started jotting down the ideas thrown around during the discussion.

'Why don't we just do two riding sessions a day then?' I asked, hearing the concerns everyone had with placing beginners and more intermediate riders together for all the sessions during the week. We would end up with some very bored kids, who were stuck just walking and doing the basics, but then we couldn't teach more advanced skills to those who were just mounting up for the first time.

'What are you thinking Alex?' Carol asked.

'We would still do a morning riding session in the morning, but we could mix it up, some in the arenas or a trail ride depending on the weather' I said, thinking over my own idea before continuing, ' then in the afternoon split the kids up, some to do another ride or an arena session, and then someone can take the intermediate kids into the indoor arena, and we can start working on other skills, even just a few cavaletti and really getting them to work on their trots and canter transitions'

'That's a pretty good idea Lex' I heard Sebastian say, ' There are four of us, and even with 10 kids, only a couple of them are more advanced, so we could split into 1 and 3, and then work with our own group of kids for the sessions'

'That's seems pretty good, how ever I don't want you doing the session by yourself, we still need 2 instructors there just with the legal requirements because they are all young' David replied.

'Alex could join me, I can still do the coaching and she can just be there as a spotter for the sessions' Sebastian said, I didn't look up but I knew he was staring over at me, 'What do you say Lex?'

'I guess I could help out' I replied, a small smile appearing on my face.

The rest of the meeting seemed to fly by, and soon I was left in the office alone filing the last bit of paperwork for the day. I was humming along to the radio, not even really aware of what music was currently playing, when I heard someone come up behind me, and within a moment I was twirled around to face them, my hands now pressed against their chest.

'You know you shouldn't creep up on someone like that' I said, trying to be serious for a moment, but my smile soon crept back, as he leaned down to kiss me.

'I didn't just creep up on anyone thank you' Sebastian said, wrapping his arms around me, ' I came to surprise my girlfriend'

'So we are official then' I asked, tilting my head slightly to look up at him.

'I was going to ask you properly over dinner,' He said, looking down his smile growing. 'but seeing as you're a little impatient' he laughed, ' Will you be my girlfriend Alex?'

Every fibre in my body tingled for a moment, as my mind started racing again, I took I deep breathe, closing my eyes, before nodding, ' Yes' was all I could say, as he leaned down and our lips crashed together in perfect sync.