The Power Within: Chapter 9

"Dad?" I narrow my eyes and slightly tilt my head. "Hello Jocelyn." He had a look of disapproval on his face. Did I ever tell you I ran away from my father to meet up with these guys?

"What do you think you're doing?" His eyes move past me and look over at Mitch. "Father, I-"

"And who are you?" I quickly block my father's view of Mitch. "He's," I couldn't think of an excuse to finish that sentence. The only idea in my head was to say he was my boyfriend. I honestly have no idea how that would help.

I put my arm behind my head and rub the back of my neck. "He's, my boyfriend." Luckily, my father isn't an expert when it comes to lies. He's not really good at telling when I'm lying or not.

My eyes shift to my father who's eye were wide in shock. "You ran off to meet this, this boy?" He tries to look at Mitch. "Jocelyn that's ridiculous, c'mon we're going home." He turns around and starts to walk out of the room.

"No." Mitch says sternly and stands up. I turn my head and look at him in confusion. What is he doing? "Excuse me?" My father walks back into the room with a slybrow. "She's not going anywhere." Mitch's body lines up with mine and he grabs my hand.

He's trying to convince my father that we're in love. My hand tightens and I keep a serious expression on my face. I feel hot in the inside. My stomach felt like chaos.

"Who are you to say what Jocelyn does?" My father comes closer to Mitch and I. "You don't understand, I need to protect my daughter. C'mon Jocelyn." My father grabs my hand that wasn't collided with Mitch's and pulls me.

I free my hand and hold on to Mitch. My turn. I put an upset look on my face and glance at my father. "I'm fine father. I don't need protection." My fathers takes a good look at Mitch and I, but shakes his head.

"I'm sorry Flower, but you're coming home with me." Flower. I haven't heard him say that in a while. He calls me flower when he cares about me a lot.

My father gave me the nickname flower when I was a young girl. Around the age 4 or 5. I was practicing how to control my powers on the day he gave the nickname to me. I was sitting in the green, grass covering a field with a few hills surrounding us. The weather was just perfect. There was a cool breeze blowing across the field and the sun was shining bright in the light blue sky.

"Father look!" I exclaimed. He walks over to me and bend over to look at my palm. On it was a floating Frangipani flower. "It's a beautiful flower." He shifts his head and face my smiling face. "Like you Jocelyn."

I giggle and hug my father's neck. "Lets take these home. Flower." He stands up and smiles. His hand was stretch for me to hold. I get up and run to my father's hand and we walk home.

Now that the thought was in my mind, I didn't want to disappoint my father. My seriousness fades and I know have a slight frown. I nod to my father and I move foward slowly, separating Mitch's hand from mine.

"Jocelyn don't," I look back at Mitch when I step out of the room. I mouth I'm sorry and continue walking. I meet up with my father who was waiting for me at the top of the steps with his hand waiting for mine.

I try to smile, but it doesn't show. I just grab his hand and he takes me downstairs. We reach the bottem and I see five boys staring at my father an I in confusion.

"Who's this Jocelyn?" Adam points at my father. I look down then back up. "He's my father."

"What's he doing here?" Jason asks. "My question is how did he get in?" I could hear Ian whisper that to Quentin. My father puts up his hand to make them stop talking.

He then turns to me and places both hands on my shoulders. "Who are these?" His eyes are looking straight into mine. "Just a few of my b-boyfriend's friends." I bite down on my lower lip.

"Lets just go." My father lets go of me and puts on hand on the back leading me to the door. "What do you mean go? She can't leave us." Jason hops off the couch with Adam, Ian, Quentin, and Jerome following.

"Jocelyn needs to be protected before her day comes." My father sternly says. He places a hand on the door knob, but moves away when Jerome moves infront. "She's not going anywhere, sir."

He was acting tough, but I could tell he was a little scared because his hands were shaking. "Yeah, besides we could protect her." Quentin locks arms with Jerome. "We could be her body guards or something, wait why does she need protection anyways?" Ian joins arms with Quentin. Jason and Adam join Quentin, Ian, and Jerome creating a blockade.

"Because," my father slaps his hand the left, which causes Jerome and the others to move away from the door. "She is a very special kind of person." My father knows Adam and them have abilities like us, so that's why he didn't hesitate to use it in front of them.

"Please sir, we can protect your daughter from any kind of threat." Jerome pleads. "C'mon please Mr.Jocelyn's Dad." Adam says with his hands together.

I dismiss the pleading and begging from the others and listen to footsteps going down the stairs. My head turns and I see Mitch standing in the middle of the steps.

"Quiet." My father's hand shuts and makes them stand there in silence. He then turns back to me. "Tell me Jocelyn," he starts off. "Do you believe these people will protect you?" I take quick glances at Jerome, Quentin, Jason, Adam, Ian, then turn around to look at Mitch. He smiles faintly an nods.

I look down and face my father. "Yes, I do, I truly do." He frowns, but it changes into a faint smile. "I'll be back in a few days to see if your okay. And if you are, you can stay for as long as you want." My eyes squint as I smile widely and hug my father.

"Thank you." I whisper in his ear. He whispers back, "I love you, Flower." I pull away and keep smiling. I run over to Jerome and the others to hug them. Then, I turn around and smile back at Mitch. He makes his way down and I make my way up. When we meet I hug him as he lifts me off the ground.

{I just finished reading Divergent today! I cried near the end ;-; it was amazing <3 I can't wait for the movie c: anyways sorry for any mistakes! PEACESKIES}