Chapter 3 - Blue Mountain

After what had to have been hours later, I awoke in the car as it slowed to a stop on a bumpy gravel road. The surroundings were completely unfamiliar to me - absolutely nothing like the pack I called home. I tried to push my grogginess aside and sat up straighter in my seat, examining my new surroundings. 

Trees. Trees everywhere.

They were breathtaking, yet so foreign. The car was parked in the middle of a thick woodland forest, and it took me a couple of minutes to realize that Wyatt was now on the phone with someone, commanding them to open the gate that stood in front of the car. Of course, the pack must be even deeper back into the forest, far from the humans. In Gold Wind, we actually mingled with most of the human communities quite well. They certainly didn't know what we were, but we did business with them and visited their establishments quite often. That, however,  was a rarity for most other packs.

Almost every pack I knew of hid far away from the humans and only visited their cities for special occasions. It was easier to be themselves that way. My pack, however, adapted to the humans because of the environment we lived in. It's harder to hide yourself away when you live in an area with nothing but flat land and farms.

"We're home," Wyatt stated softly. The iron gates in front of us were finally opening up.

"How long was the drive?" I asked curiously. I had no idea how far away from home I was. I couldn't even show you on a map where the other packs resided.

"Long," Wyatt chuckled briefly. "About twelve hours."

My eyes widened at his statement. I had slept for twelve hours? I looked at my surroundings again and noticed it was very well daylight. When we left Gold Wind it was around seven in the evening, so it was now morning. Wyatt had drove through the night?

"Are you not exhausted?" I asked without thinking. My words came out quickly and with obvious shock in my voice.

Wyatt didn't seem phased. "I don't require much sleep."

Of course, he was an Alpha. Their genes made them much stronger in any situation - including sleepless ones.

We continued down the gravel road as it twisted and turned here and there. Although I could see no evidence through the massive oaks and pines that surrounded us, I knew we had to be high up in the mountains. Roads weren't this twisty and curvy in a valley. My stomach suddenly began to flop around a bit and my wolf whined. Why did I feel sick to my stomach so out of the blue?

Wyatt glanced over at me and furrowed his eyebrows in worry. "You don't look like you feel well," he stated very simply. His statements were always so straight-forward and lacking of much emotion. His emotions were visible, they just weren't expressive.

"I don't feel well. What's happening?" I asked with a groan as I closed my eyes and buried my face in my hands.

Wyatt chuckled again. How was this funny?

"You must be car sick. I forgot you're not used to roads like this," he explained.

Car sick? That was an actual thing?

"Don't worry Hana, we're almost there," he said calmly and squeezed my knee gently as a reassurance. My cheeks turned a shade of deep pink hearing him speak my name. It was beautiful coming from his mouth, and my queasiness suddenly didn't feel quite as bad.

The car came to a stop again and my eyes shot open. I gasped, taking in my surroundings once more. We were in a clearing at the top of an enormous mountain. Beautiful log style homes surrounded us, including a very large building at the center that must have been the pack house. In between the buildings I could see the surrounding mountains. It was stunning. I had honestly never seen such a view in my entire twenty-one years of life. I didn't even know how simply exasperated I was until I heard Wyatt lightly chuckle again. My mouth had dropped all the way open without me realizing.