Chapter 20 - Desire

Due to my drunken stupor, Rhett persuaded me to take a nap despite it still being morning. My words had really hit him hard. His expression had been a painful mix of hopeful and doubtful. I honestly didn't know if I had meant what I said or not. Being with Rhett did seem so easy, but who was to say things wouldn't change once he no longer had to try and win me over?

I dozed off rather quickly, enjoying the feel of the mattress beneath my body. I felt like I was floating, as I closed my eyes. The feeling was a bit unsettling at first, but the alcohol's odd sensations soon lulled me to sleep.

I dreamt of Wyatt. I loved him so much. He was my mate, and my first everything. The Moon Goddess had intended for us to be together, even if we were her second choices. I dreamt of his gorgeous blue eyes and the way he held me in bed at night. As my mind planned back our various memories together, another thought popped into my head. Who had the Moon Goddess originally planned for Wyatt to be with? Had she too done something to lose her mate, or were we all simply reassigned in order to restore order?

"Hana, please let me find you, love," a voice pleaded in my dream.

The sudden intrusion of my dream state disturbed me, causing me to toss and turn on the mattress.

"We'll figure it all out together, I promise," the voice said again.

This time it woke me. My wolf alerted me that the voice was not a part of my dream. I must've let down my guard and opened my mind while asleep. A combination of the alcohol and dreaming of Wyatt was surely to blame. He must have felt our connection open up decided to use it to his advantage.

"You made me run. There's no one to blame but yourself," I finally responded.

"I just want to help you. Being away from you is killing me. The thought of you being with another man, much less my brother, kills me."

"I'm not ready to talk to you. I won't be ready until you work things out with Rhett first. I'm shutting off our mind-link now," I warned him.

"Hana no-,"

I used all the strength my subconscious could muster, and I shut him out once again. My mind felt peaceful again; it was just me and my wolf. I had always enjoyed the connection I had with Wyatt, including our ability to mind-link, but right now it was proving to make things more complicated.

I had been so absorbed in my mental conversation with Wyatt, that I didn't even notice Rhett had walked back inside. I recalled him saying he was going to tend to some business while I rested, so he must had been returning to check on me.

"He was mind-linking you, wasn't he?" Rhett asked, his expression full of worry.

I nodded. "I had been keeping our mind-link shut off, but the whiskey must have caused me to let my guard down," I explained. I didn't feel the need to explain myself to Rhett since he never gave me a look of distrust or accusation, but I felt it was the respectful thing to do.

Rhett nodded in understand and walked over to the mattress, taking a seat next to me. I smiled at him as our eyes met and he was quick to return it.

"I could admire that smile all day," he said, his voice soft and alluring. "Are you feeling better?"

I nodded before lightly rubbing my temple. The alcohol's effects had worn off quickly, as it often did for werewolves, but the smallest tinge of a headache stuck around, determined to make its presence known.

Rhett lightly grabbed my hand, pulling it away from my face before lightly pressing his lips to my temple instead. Sparks fluttered along the side of my face, quickly easing away my headache. The mate bond was simply amazing.