Chapter 6 - Heat

It didn't take long for Wyatt to wake up. I didn't even have to touch him. One moment he was dead-asleep and the next he was clinging to my side, whispering in my ear and smoothing down my hair. What really confused me though, was that he wasn't asking what was wrong.

"What is happening to me?" I wailed frantically as tears streamed down my face. The pain had subsided in all of the areas that Wyatt was touching as he held me, but the rest of my body was still consumed by the fire.

Wyatt froze at my words and looked up at me with confusion in his eyes.

"You don't know?" he asked while raising an eyebrow at me.

"Of course I don't know! How am I supposed to know what's wrong with me!" I yelled before burying my face in his chest. His skin was the only remedy and I didn't understand why.

"Hana...you're in heat," Wyatt whispered calmly.

"What?!" I gasped, looking up at him once more. His eyes were dark and full of lust. I could now see that he was restraining himself as he comforted me. My previous pack was very conservative. Although I had heard of females going into heat, I was never told much about it. I didn't know how it happened or what to expect. Things like that just weren't talked about openly in Gold Wind. It all made sense now. My mate was the only one who could help me during the heat, which explains why his touch was the only thing making me feel better and why I was craving him so intensely.

"What's going to happen to me? We never talked about the heat openly in our pack," I said softly to Wyatt as more tears threatened to escape.

Wyatt turned me around and began rubbing my shoulders. He let out a sigh of frustration. "I can't believe no one ever tried to prepare you for this day," he mumbled in irritation.

"A female wolf goes into heat shortly after meeting her mate and will continue to go through it every full moon until the entire mating ritual is complete. You feel this burning pain throughout your body and crave your mate intensely. It lasts all night and only I can help numb the pain," Wyatt explained calmly as he continued to knead my back and shoulders.

"Also, you give off a very strong scent when you're in heat. It's a very seductive scent that grabs the attention of unmated males, and has a significantly strong effect on your mate," Wyatt whispered in my ear. I could feel his breath on my neck followed by soft, warm kiss that sent chills up and down my spine. I wanted him badly, but we had only just met. There was no way I was ready for any part of the mating ritual.

"I wish you'd let me end your pain," He murmured against my skin before trailing several warm kisses down my neck and shoulder. A soft moan escaped my lips and my cheeks heated up turning a dark shade of pink. Never had such a sound come from my mouth! My wolf was growling at me in my head, clearly annoyed at me for not giving in and mating with Wyatt.

"We just met, I'm not ready for that yet," I told my wolf. She too was experiencing this heat and was quite agitated.

"He's our mate! It doesn't matter how long we've known him!" She growled back at me.

I let out an annoyed sigh and began wiping away some of my tears. I was going to have to try and ignore my wolf's needs and her annoyance with me. I'd also have to keep myself in check. I'd never experienced such strong feelings and needs in my entire life. I closed my eyes and tried to calm my breathing as I focused in on the feeling of Wyatt rubbing my back and kissing my neck where he would one day mark me. His touches and words were calming as they eased the intense fire within me, but at the same time they were driving me wild.

"I-I can't yet. I'm so sorry, I'm just not ready," I finally replied to him. I heard him let out a low growl, obviously not pleased with my response. I could only imagine how difficult this was on him as well. My scent was driving him and his wolf wild, he was having to see his mate in pain, and he's an Alpha so that makes all of his feelings twice as intense.