Chapter 34 - Surprise

New Cover!! Whaaaat??? Details at the end!

I immediately nodded to the guards and allowed them to escort me outside, where they told me my father was awaiting clearance. I felt bad for leaving the reception so suddenly and without telling anyone, even Rhett, but if my father was here, I had to see him. I hadn't seen him in months, since my mother's funeral. If he was finally ready to speak to me again, I couldn't miss the opportunity.

It didn't take us long to make it to the front doors of the pack house. I pushed open the double doors and stormed outside to see none other than my father, Gregory Hawthorne, standing in front of his small, silver truck that he'd owned for as long as I could remember.

"Dad?" I gasped, stopping a few feet in front of him.

His dirty blonde hair looked the same – short and well kept, but his large, hazel eyes seemed different. They seemed...brighter.

"Hana," he spoke, taking a few steps towards me with open arms.

I tried to hold back the tears, but before I could get a grip on my emotions, they came pouring out, flooding my face as I rushed into my father's embrace.

I cried into his shoulder as he softly stroked my hair, my mind running a thousand miles-per-hour. In fact, I began to become angry. After my mother died, my father avoided me like the plague. He hadn't even attempted any communication with me since I left Gold Wind, and now he just shows up out of the blue?

I gently pulled out of his arms, taking a step back to look him in the eyes, "I haven't heard from you since mom died. Why now? Why are you here?" I questioned. My voice was shaky from my crying, but held a good amount of spite as well.

My father sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, shaking his head ever so slightly, "I'm so sorry Hana. I know I've let you down."

I knew I should give my dad some credit. He lost his mate. Hailey and I were lucky that he didn't quite literally go insane, as many widowed mates did.

"I've had a lot of help from the pack since you've been gone. I've focused on my work and raised some really good crops, met with some other pack members who have lost their mates, and really worked through my problems. All of that led me to realizing I wasn't there for you and Hailey like I should've been. Your mother would have my head if she was around," my father explained.

That explained why his eyes appeared so much brighter than I remembered. He'd truly been working through his grief and had found the support he needed. Although him pushing me away simply because I looked so much like my mother did hurt, I couldn't stay mad at him forever. He was my father.

I smiled and stepped back into his arms, hugging him tightly, "So much has happened since the last time I saw you," I said softly near his ear.

Before he had the chance to reply, I heard a low growl from behind us.

I quickly turned around to see Rhett standing a few feet away, watching the scene unfold before him. He didn't look angry, but rather confused as he watched an unfamiliar male hold his mate so lovingly.

"Who's this?" Rhett asked, making his voice a lot deeper than usual to project his authority.

I rolled my eyes, but smiled, "Rhett, this is my father."

Rhett's demeanor instantly changed. A look of embarrassment flashed across his face as he scrambled towards us, eager to shake my father's hand.

"Sir, it's a pleasure to finally meet my mate's father."