Chapter 11 - The Date

After Wyatt told me he loved me, we both fell fast asleep. I didn't reply, and it was beginning to eat away at me. Did I love Wyatt? Of course I did. He's my mate, he takes care of me and treats me well, he's gorgeous...what's not to love? I was so stunned when he said it that I didn't have time to collect my thoughts before he fell asleep. He's called me 'love' many times and even made comments about loving me, but until last night he hadn't spoken those three very important words.

Did he really love me? I'm his mate, and he obviously cares for me, but can such a serious man truly love?

I hadn't slept much through the night. I dozed off a few times only to wake up again. It was now around seven in the morning, and I knew Wyatt would be awake soon. I slowly turned over to face him, anticipating his bright blue eyes to open soon.

After several minutes of laying there, facing Wyatt with my eyes closed, I heard him yawn. My eyes slowly fluttered open and instantly locked with his.

"I love you too," I whispered softly to him. The moment was long gone by now, but I had all night to sort through my thoughts.

Wyatt's face remained the same for a few moments as he processed what I had said to him. Then, I noticed the corners of his mouth turn up into a small smile. He reached out and softly grabbed my face, pulling it towards him to kiss me softly on the lips.

"I know you do, Hana," he told me. "You have the biggest heart of anyone I know."

I blushed lightly and smiled back at him. Wyatt leaned in and gave me another soft kiss on my lips.

"I know I'm too hard on you sometimes and overbearing, but it's just because I don't want anything to happen to you. There's so much going on in our world right now, Hana, your life is constantly in danger even if you don't realize it," Wyatt said softly.

I tried to never judge him too harshly when he was angry or controlling, but now I felt especially bad. He just wanted me to be safe. I knew that already, but when he put it in those terms it seemed even more understandable. Rogues were attacking, and based on the tiny bit that he had revealed to me so far, his long lost older brother was somehow involved. For Goddess sake, there had been a note directly targeting me. There was a knife held to my throat. Wyatt had every reason to worry for my safety.

"Before I found you, I didn't think there was a mate for me. I didn't believe in love," he told me as he softly stroked my cheek.

"But the moment I found you, I knew everything I had once thought was wrong. Just by seeing you and smelling you, I knew I'd do everything in my power to love you and protect you. I know I'm not the ideal mate, Hana, I know I don't always make things easy for you. Just please...please know that I'm trying. Please know, that every day you're making me a better man," Wyatt told me, his voice growing deeper and more serious with every word as he continued to hold my face in his hands.

I nodded to him with a small smile, not really sure how to respond. He leaned forward and planted another soft kiss on my lips before rolling over to get out of bed.

"I'll be back in a few hours to have lunch with you, okay?"

"I'll be here," I replied softly. He granted me a small grin before quickly getting dressed and making his way to his office. Every day was pretty much the same: Wyatt woke up early and went to his office to deal with his regular Alpha duties, which I'm still not completely sure about. Part of me was ready for my formal Luna ceremony so I could begin to take on pack duties instead of being cooped up in the Alpha's quarters all day. I knew the Luna ceremony would be soon since we had completed the mating ritual, but I also felt like Wyatt wouldn't ease up on his rules until they had this rogue situation completely figured out.