Chapter 23 - Tomorrow

I slowly led Hailey out of the pack house and around to the back side where the garden was located. I didn't say much during the short walk, but simply let Hailey ramble on about whatever was on her mind. Honestly, I didn't hear half of it. She said a few things about our fathers, and a few things about school, but I couldn't recall the specifics. I was numb, and my mind was distracted.

As we walked down the stone pathway into the garden, an intense feeling of sorrow overwhelmed me. Even though I wasn't necessarily here against my will, I couldn't help but wish Rhett was lurking in the woods nearby.

The garden was now a nostalgic place for me. Every visit I'd ever made to the garden involved Rhett. I missed him terribly. Part of me felt ashamed, because although I had missed Wyatt while I was gone, it was nothing compared to how much I was missing Rhett.

"Hana?" Hailey's soft voice piped up, pulling me from my thoughts. "Is this the garden? It's so pretty!" she squealed as she took off running towards the stream.

I smiled and followed behind her, feeling happy about the fact that she also liked a place that was now very special to me. I sat down on the bench and watched as Hailey traced her fingers in the small pond, taunting the koi fish.

"Hails, can we talk about something?" I asked her. Although she was my little sister, she was thirteen years old and fully capable of having a serious conversation.

She turned around and looked at me with furrowed eyebrows, obviously confused about what there could be to talk about, "Um...sure," she replied as she stood up and walked over to join me on the bench.

I sighed, "I know you don't understand why I left Wyatt...why I was gone...but I want to tell you everything so you can try to understand."

"No, it's fine Hana! You're back now. That's all that matters. I mean, mates have fights. It happens," she said with a shrug and a weak smile.

I frowned. Although I appreciated her optimism, she truly didn't have a clue.

"No, Hailey. Please listen," I replied sternly.

She just stared at me in confusion, so I decided to continue.

"I didn't leave Wyatt because we had a fight...I mean I did...we did, but that's not why I left with Rhett, his brother," I started.

Hailey's eyes widened, "That man is his brother? He never even said that!"

I held a finger up, gesturing for her to calm down and let me finish, "Rhett paid me several visits out here in the garden after Wyatt and I ran into him in the human town. Wyatt thought Rhett had been dead for over ten years, so Rhett explained everything to me."

I explained Rhett and Wyatt's entire family situation to her, but still hadn't mentioned mine and Rhett's relationship. I knew that would be the hardest part for her to wrap her mind around.

"You're not telling me something. None of that explains why you were staying with Rhett and his rogues," Hailey spoke up, almost as if she could read my mind.

I sighed and nodded, "Hailey...Remember how I just told you that Rhett lost his mate when his father made him a rogue? How he found her, and could feel their mate bond even though she couldn't anymore because she had a new mate?"

Hailey nodded, still obviously confused about where I was going with this.

"I'm his mate, Hailey. Rhett is the man the Moon Goddess had originally destined me to be with," I said softly.

Hailey stared blankly at me, "So...you have two mates?"

I nodded.

Silence.