Chapter 17 - Double Bond

After we finished our tea and chatted a bit more, I followed Rhett back outside. We made our way over to a work station where several large men were sharpening knives. Although most wolves fought and hunted in their wolf forms and had no need for weapons, not all situations were appropriate for shifting.

Rhett took my hand and walked towards a very tall, tan man with black hair and gray eyes. The man gave off a dark vibe, causing me to feel cautious as we approached.

"Hana, this is my right-hand man, Stefan. He's originally from the Dark Root pack," Rhett told me.

Stefan took his attention off the shiny blade in his hand and greeted with a wide smile that I certainly wasn't expecting. He grabbed my hand and shook it tightly before speaking.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Hana," Stefan said politely. Members of the Dark Root pack were typically known to be very angry and cruel. His personality didn't seem to match that criteria at all.

I smiled back at him, feeling less anxious amidst his kindness. Rhett shot Stefan a stern look, causing Stefan to finally release my hand.

"It's nice to meet you too, Stefan. I hope you don't mind me saying – you don't seem like you'd be from Dark Root aside from your appearance," I said with a sudden feeling of bravery.

Stefan and Rhett both chuckled at my observation.

"Well, I didn't leave because I felt like I fit in," Stefan joked. "My brother is the Alpha, and he's a real ass."

My eyes widened. Stefan was Alpha Dean's brother? Now that he mentioned it, the two did favor each other. I had only been in Alpha Dean's presence one time, and he was certainly not the friendly type. Stefan chuckled at me again.

"Don't tell me you've had the pleasure of meeting my big brother?" he teased.

"I attended a meeting with him once. I wouldn't say we formally met, but I was okay with that," I replied.

"Stefan here also played a big role in helping me find you. He's insisted on helping with every aspect. In fact, his mate is also in our group, and he's left her behind for months at a time just to help me," Rhett told me.

I gasped quietly. I couldn't imagine being without my mate for a long period of time. Even my own thoughts were becoming ironic now. I think about how I can't imagine being without my mate, yet I'm currently away from Wyatt. Rhett is my mate too though, so is that why it's bearable? My head was beginning to ache with all of these new thoughts and feelings.

"You should go home to her. No woman wants to be without her mate," I told Stefan with a small smile, despite my internal conflict.

"She's a very strong and understanding woman. She wanted me to help. Her name is Farah. I think you two would get along very well," Stefan reassured.

After meeting a few more of Rhett's men, he walked me towards the woods. Just as we met the tree line, he stopped and turned to face me.

"Would you like to go for a run?" Rhett asked me, smirking. He must have somehow knew how much I loved to run. My wolf began to yip and jump around in my head, begging to be set free. Although, I did wonder how she would react to Rhett's wolf. Up until today, she had been quite angry with me for even seeing Rhett.

I nodded eagerly, and then we both moved behind trees to strip off our clothes and shift. When we reappeared, my eyes met a large, dark brown wolf that looked very similar to Wyatt's. My wolf hesitantly approached him and began to sniff. Rhett's wolf remained still, but dug at the dirt lightly with his paws in anticipation. I could tell he was anxious to finally meet his mate. My wolf then licked Rhett's snout in approval before she took off sprinting deep into the woods.