Chapter 12 - Answers

After Rhett repeatedly ignored Wyatt's demands to leave, Wyatt finally snapped and threw himself over the table, punching his brother square in the jaw. I shrieked and pushed myself into the corner against the window as the two men fought next to me. Wyatt looked merciless. He repeatedly punched Rhett, and I could see his wolf in his eyes, begging to break free. This had to stop! I had never seen Wyatt this cold-blooded and angry before, and it was really frightening.

The managers of the restaurant ran over and struggled to pull the men apart. I was thankful, because this distracted Wyatt from his fight. If his wolf had managed to break through and the humans witnessed him shift, the entire pack would be in even more danger than it already was.

"All of you! Get out now before I call the police!" one of the managers yelled.

I reached out to grab Wyatt's arm in an attempt to pull him off of Rhett, but he shook me off. He stood up on his own and stormed out the front door. I forced myself to regain composure and then ran after him.

Wyatt was storming down the sidewalk towards the parking lot we had parked in. When I finally caught up to him, I reached out and grabbed his arm gently.

"Wyatt! What just happened back there? You have to tell me what's going on!" I begged frantically.

"Don't start with me right now, Hana!" he yelled at me, turning around to face me. His eyes were still dark and full of malice.

I flinched at his words and shrunk back from him. That was when I heard the sound of a 'tsk-tsk' on our right. I turned to the side quickly, not wanting some stranger to set Wyatt off again by voicing their disapproval. My eyes landed on none other than Rhett, leaned up against the side of a building, watching Wyatt and I argue.

"Hana, why do you let him treat you like that?" Rhett asked with a smirk on his face.

"I would never talk to you in such a manner."

I scoffed at him, already growing tired of his games and the effect he had on my mate.

"Rhett, you need to leave us alone," I said to him, forcefully raising my voice in an attempt to be assertive. I wasn't very good at it.

Rhett only chuckled at me. "I like it when you say my name, gorgeous," he said seductively. Wyatt began growling behind me.

"Hana! Go get in the car, NOW," Wyatt yelled through gritted teeth.

I hung my head and began walking towards the car, knowing there was nothing I could do to better this situation.

"Or you could leave him and come with me, Hana. I'll treat you like the Luna you are. You'll never be unhappy a day in your life," Rhett added, the mischievous grin still plastered on his face.

"I don't even know you Rhett, and I'd really appreciate it if you'd stop talking about my mate and I in such a way," I turned around and spoke up once more.

"Oh, but baby you should know me...and you could," he replied with a wink.

"Car, now Hana!" Wyatt yelled again. I knew his self-control was hanging by a thread now. I put my head down and quickly walked the rest of the way to the car. Once I reached the black luxury vehicle, I opened the door and quickly slid into the passenger seat.

I could hear the two brothers yelling back and forth at each other in the parking lot, but their words were muffled by my hands covering my ears. I didn't understand what was going on. Why was Rhett bothering us? How was he involved with the rogues, the attacks...my mother? A few tears escaped my eyes and slid down my cheeks as I sat in the car, attempting to collect my thoughts. It seemed to have gotten quieter outside, so I looked up to peek out the window just in time to see Rhett walking by the car. Our eyes locked and he froze, studying my face for a moment. He shot me a sad, but sincere smile, before he darted towards the trees that surrounded the town.