Chapter 15 - Brothers

"No!" I shouted as I pulled my hands away from Rhett.

"No, you're crazy. That doesn't even make sense! Wyatt is my mate," I rambled.

"Yes, Wyatt is your mate, now, but I was supposed to be your mate, Hana," he told me softly as if he was afraid I would explode any second. His eyes looked hurt from my reaction.

"If that's true, why didn't you come find me?" I asked skeptically.

"By the time I found out you were my mate, I was already a rogue...you had a new mate by then, and you weren't 18 yet, so either way you wouldn't be able to recognize me as your mate at that point," he explained.

My mind was swirling. I still felt faint, as if I could collapse any moment. This was too much, but it couldn't be true, right? That didn't make sense. Rhett must have made up this whole story just to eventually hurt Wyatt.

But his eyes...they looked so hurt, so sincere. Could he really be that good of an actor?

Then another thought hit me.

"If any of this is true, why would you be involved with these rogues who attacked and threatened me? They killed my own mother!" I shrieked as tears pricked my eyes. I buried my face in my hands. This was completely overwhelming.

"Hana, none of that was supposed to happen, I promise," he said as he reached out to stroke my hair. I immediately smacked his hand away, causing another look of hurt to flash in his eyes.

"That's not a good enough answer, Rhett. My mother is dead and you were somehow involved," I added.

Rhett let out a frustrated sigh and shook his head.

"The day your mother was killed, the rogues had entered your pack to find you. They were supposed to find you and convince you to meet with me so I could explain to you how you were my mate. I was supposed to get to meet you...I was going to beg you to believe me and come with me," he explained.

"But before my rogues could find you, they ran into your mother. My rogues are...a bit wild. They don't always follow instructions exactly how I mean them. They told your mother their intentions, and she refused to let them near you. They all ended up shifting and fighting. Your mother was killed during the fight. I know it's not a good excuse, but rogues have a harder time fighting their instinct to kill," he explained.

I stared at him with my mouth open as tears began to pour down my cheeks. So my mother was killed because of me?

"And the attack on this pack? Many people were killed, and I had a knife held to my throat," I asked softly as I tried to keep sobs from escaping my mouth.

"As shitty as it sounds, that was unintentional as well. My plan and instructions were for my rogues to find you and bring you to me. I expected you to be alone since Alphas typically work during the day. I wasn't planning for there to be a pack breakfast that morning. Your warriors intercepted my rogues for trespassing. Fights broke out, and they defended themselves. As for you being threatened...that particular man has been dealt with," Rhett explained. His expression was now more serious.

I tried to process everything, but it was just too much. One thing Rhett kept repeating was really bothering me now. His rogues?

"Why do you keep calling these rogues yours?" I asked between sniffles.

"I'm the leader of a rogue pack...not the leader of all rogues, just the ones that choose to associate with my group," he said simply.

I nodded, accepting his answer, but I didn't know what to say from there. So many pieces of a puzzle were just put together. I wasn't expecting the puzzle to be solved in this way. A rather long moment of silence passed between us. What did he want me to say?