Chapter 16 - The Spell

That night, Rhett put me to bed on a small mattress near the back of his hut. He insisted on making sure I had enough pillows and blankets to keep me warm and comfortable, but I assured him I was fine. At first, I was confused about where Rhett would be sleeping. The small mattress was the only bed I'd noticed in his hut. My question was answered when I awoke in the middle of the night to see Rhett asleep on the floor near his wood-burning heater with only a single pillow and a thin blanket.

My heart sunk at the image. I couldn't allow this caring man to sleep on the hard ground for more than a night. I knew for sure now, that I'd need to return to Blue Mountain sometime in the morning.

I managed to doze off again and slept through the rest of the night. Sometime just after sunrise, I awoke to a stirring in the hut. I groggily opened my eyes and released a yawn, stretching out across the mattress before I noticed that the stirring noise was Rhett getting dressed.

My eyes landed on Rhett as he stood in front of his heater in nothing but a pair of shorts. He was a work of art. I didn't think such a thing could be possible, but his chest, arms, and muscles were all twice the size of Wyatt's, making it clear that Rhett did indeed, have the dominant Alpha gene. I was immediately caught staring, causing a broad smirk to appear on Rhett's face.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you," he said, his morning voice sounding even deeper than usual. I couldn't deny that it was sexy, especially when paired with his shirtless form.

"N-No, it's okay. I'll need to get going soon anyways," I replied, forcing my eyes to look away from his body. My wolf growled at me as if she too hadn't been entranced by his physique.

"What? Why so soon?" Rhett asked me, his eyebrows crinkled together in confusion.

"I can't let you sleep on the ground again tonight. Besides, things will probably get worse the longer I'm gone," I told him.

"What happened to making him realize what you mean to him? He's probably still angry right now. He hasn't transitioned to his missing and appreciating you stage just yet," Rhett explained, sounding very reasonable as he pulled out a chair and sat down, facing me.

"I told you, Rhett. I can't have you sleeping on the hard ground for me again tonight," I replied with a small smile.

"Hana, I'd do a lot more for you than sleep on the ground. This is nothing," his tone turned serious.

"That being said, I wouldn't mind squeezing onto that mattress with you either."

I playfully glared at him, causing him to chuckle at me. He finally slipped on a t-shirt before standing from his chair and walking over to me.

"Can I introduce you to someone, before you leave?" Rhett asked as he held out his hand to me.

I grabbed his hand and allowed him to pull me up from the mattress. I smoothed my hair down and ran my fingers under my eyes, hoping I didn't look like a complete mess. I knew Rhett wouldn't tell me even if I did.

"Sure," I said with a shrug. Rhett smiled and led me out of the hut. Now that it was lighter out, I could see my surroundings better. The scenery looked the same as in Blue Mountain. We were in the same area, after all. Their temporary settlement was in a small clearing. It appeared that only men were around, probably Rhett's strongest fighters or smartest hunters. Each male had their own hut, and they didn't try to hide their stares as I crossed the clearing with Rhett.

I heard a low growl come from Rhett's throat. He grabbed my hand tighter and walked a little faster towards a hut on the opposite side of the clearing. The males who were outside must heard Rhett's warning growl and quickly turned their attention elsewhere.