chapter 10

[edited]

I've updated three times this month, are you proud?

~

[saely]

I bit my lip as Jasper drove closer and closer to our house. My parents had been away for two days without contacting Jasper or informing us of were they were. All I could do was pray that they wouldn't be there when we got home today. My heartbeat started escalating as Jasper turned onto our street, but quickly calmed down at the sight of our empty driveway. However something seemed off. Jasper sat stiffly in the driver's seat, indicating that all was not well.

"My god..." He trailed off. I followed his gaze to see the front door flung open, barely on its hinges. I really didn't want to see what was inside. I glanced to it see a deep frown painted across Jasper's face. "Come on Sae, lets go in." His already deep voice had dropped at least an octave, as it did when he was scared or nervous, sending ominous chills down my spine.

"Y-yeah." I muttered, shaking slightly. "L-let's go." Carefully opening the door and removing myself from the car, I grasped onto Jasper's jacket for protection as we proceeded into the house. 

Inside, every picture was smashed and many of our valuable items were gone. Our parents' bedroom had been ransack and all that was left were the broken pictures. Oddly enough, the upstairs, our haven, hadn't been touched. We made our way down to the kitchen to find on the counter an envelope and a lengthy note addressed to both me and Jasper. He picked it up gingerly and began to read:

Dear kids,

Your father and I have decided we can't live with you any more. Our company is failing and you two already hate us. This was the complete opposite of what we planned for you kids. When our business started to crumble before our eyes, we took it out on you, Saely, which your father knew would hurt Jasper twice as much as hurting him directly.  You are very lucky to have such a caring brother. It was inhumane, and you two had done nothing to deserve it. Your father began it and, in my desperation for an easy scapegoat, I just went along its it. We were horrible and I was sick of it, but fear stopped me from standing up, much like it did to Jasper. You were only nine and I'm truly sorry you had to endure us for the last six years. Hate us, but know I love you.

Jasper, inside the envelope is $5,000 dollars. I'm sorry that I can't give you more, but your father would have noticed. Use it to support yourselves. I can't return and help you, especially since your dad still hates Saely. I trust  you and know you can handle this. Also, don't hold yourself back from getting a boyfriend because of your parents. Mothers can always tell these things.

I love you two so much more than I ever realized or showed. It took me a hell of a lot of time to get your father to leave, and I'm sorry about the mess he made. Be safe!

Love Mom

I was in shock. Dad was gone? Mom actually cared? Jasper would be my guardian? I dropped to my knees, not noticing the stream of tears flowing from my eyes. It was too much to process, so my body did what it always does. I passed out.

[jasper]

I just barely caught Saely as she fell. Although I didn't have a very strong external reaction, I was terrified. Mom had put me in charge of Saely's well being. I'd already been caring for her, but I hadn't been officially entrusted with her. I'd have to get a job. I couldn't go to the college I'd been dreaming of. All these thoughts swirled around my head as I carried Saely up to her room. After she was settled comfortably, I whipped out my phone and scrolled through my contacts till I reached Blade's name.

"Hey man, what's up?" I hear through the speaker.

"Blade..." I gasped out. "They're gone."

"Who?" He sound a little muffled, like he was eating something.

"My parents. I'm Saely's guardian now, what do I do?" My voice slowly rose as I became more and more anxious.

I heard a choking sound, followed by coughing and a few thumps. After a moment of silencem Blade responded. "First of all, calm down. You cant do jack shit when you're stressed. Second, where is Sae now?"

I glanced towards the stairs. "She passed out after she heard the news."

"Well that makes things simpler." I rolled my eyes at his response. "I'll be over soon with Hayden."

It was my turn to cough in surprise. "Wait, why are you bringing him?!"

"You need your lover right now." I heard chuckling through the phone.

"What the hell? He isn't my-" Blade hung up. I groaned. Why did everyone except Hayden know I liked him?

The moment the doorbell rang, I bolted to answer it. Hayden had never been here, so I was nervous. Saely was still sleeping soundly, oblivious to the mental torment I was putting myself through. The door opened to a very embarrassed Hayden and a serious Blade.

"Is Sae still asleep?" He questioned. Of course his first question was about his girlfriend. Despite his insensitive comments, he really loved her.

"Maybe you should  try to wake her up. She won't respond to me." Blade nodded furiously before sprinting off, leaving me with Hayden.

"Blade told me everything on the way here. I wish I could do something to help you." He sounded so disappointed in himself. I couldn't stand him being sad like that. I made up my mind on what to do. Now was the time.

"There actually is something you can do." I blurted before I lost my nerve. Mom's "final wish" was for me to accept my sexuality and I wanted to make her proud of me.

"What?" He sounded so elated at the prospect of helping me. So cute.

"I- uh, think y-you're a..." I desperately tried to form the correct words. My brain was shutting down, denying me of my words. Oh who cares anymore, screw it. I crashed my lips into his before yanking back and turning away. "I-I'm sorry." I whispered, a tear trickling down my cheek.

"Jasper... Oh my god." I gasped as I was met with a body colliding into my back. "You IDIOT! Why didn't you tell me? Was that what was bothering you today?" I turned around to see an overjoyed Hayden. He was practically leaping off the ground, he was that exuberant. "I like you too, you big dork!" He grinned, his eyes practically disappearing. I reached out again and pulled him into a proper kiss. When I drew away, his face turned an adorable pink and he buried his face in my chest, a habit he develpoed when he was flustered.

"Finally!" I heard from behind me. Blade was walking down the stairs with a very confused looking  Saely in tow. "Kid." He addressed Hayden. "You have no idea how many hours I've wasted listening to Jasper yak on about how much he likes you. You're doing me a favor by dating him." This only intensified the pigment across Hayden's cheeks as he burrowed further into my chest. All I could do was laugh and wrap an arm around my newfound boyfriend.

~

Sorry that this is really bad, but Jayden is finally together! My babies are all grown up. Thank you all for 50k reads! *muah*

Hugs for all!

C