Part 3

We got in the car at noon, a little later than we had planned because I fell asleep after my fit. 

"You've got everything hon?"

"Yes mum, you don't have to ask me 10 thousand times."

"I know," she said kissing my head, "I just worry." This is what she said, but not what she meant. I knew she wanted me to go, but there was a slight sparkle in her eye that showed sympathy. My dad, on the other hand, showed no sympathy and said everything as he meant it.

"I'll be fine, mother. It's just a school." I was like my mother. I said things to make people feel better and in exchange, hurt myself by not saying that I didn't want to go. I could say that to my dad, but never to my mom. She had this porcelain doll, fragile part to her, and if she knew that she was sending me to a place where I would be miserable, she would break inside, which would break me.

"Are we ready yet? Lord knows we're late for no good reason." He said that last bit under his breath but we all still heard.

I was alone now. I still wasn't 100% from my fit, but my dad was already frustrated, so I didn't want to exacerbate the situation. I was leaning up against the wall waiting for my sisters to come out. I always debated running away, just leaving; the thing that stopped me was my sisters. They were always there for me through my best and worst times. Through every hospital visit and every move, they were there to cheer me up. Now, I have to leave them. No weekends. No visitations. Not until holiday. Sean nuzzled up against my leg. He was another reason I was happy. At least I would have him with me at school. I was never completely alone.

"Hayden! Let's go!" I had been lost in my thoughts and didn't realize that my sisters were already in the car. I hurried over and got in.

"You ok?" My mother was always worried.

"Peachy."

The drive was very long. The house was at least 2 hours away, but it was a heavy traffic day and it took us 4 hours. It started to get dark just before we got there. I had to cover my eyes because the car lights were coming on, and they triggered my epilepsy.

We arrived at the school at 4:38 pm and my mum took me to the headmaster's office to check in. Everyone else waited in the car.

I guess I had this worried look on my face because my mum stopped me and said, "It's going to be ok." I just nodded and we continued.

The school was big, no, huge! It looked like a castle. It reminded me of England.

The school was practically empty. There was minimal staff (just some janitors and summer teachers and headmaster) and barely and students. I knew it was going to be like this. The headmaster wanted me to come early before the school to get a feel of the place.

We arrived at the office and went into his room. He was a big guy with a clean shaven face. His hair was slightly grey, but with red (I assume his natural colour) and he was wearing some glasses. 

"Ah! Come in, come in." He was very nice and welcoming. "Have a seat." We sat.

"I'm Headmaster Jones, but you can call me Headmaster or Mister Jones. Either is fine. What should I call you?"

"Hayden and this is Sean," I gestured to Sean, "and this is my mum."

"Mary."

"Ah, yes you come all the way from England, right?"

"Yes, sir." I said quickly.

"You will be staying in our B building. Here's a map." He pointed to a building labeled B. "We have more girls than boys. The boys' buildings are B and D. The girls' are A, C, and E. Following?"