Part 17

I held my sisters in my arms for a while. I looked down and saw they were all asleep. I smiled and realized it was late for them. I closed my eyes and began to drift off to sleep also.

~~~~~~

"Hayden!"

I woke up straight away.

"Huh what?"

"How are you feeling?"

"Besides you waking my ass up early? Fine. Why?"

"If the doctor says its ok, I wanted to take you and your sisters out."

"Where?"

"Well probably not much. Breakfast then a little history tour or something. Then dinner."

"Why?"

"It's your forest Thanksgiving!"

"Oh yeah, I forgot."

"So?"

"You don't have to do anything David."

"I know I don't have to. I want to."

"But, I don't want you spending money on us..."

"Don't worry about money..."

"And the girls probably have homework...Lord knows I do"

"Oh my gosh do you want this or not?"

"I...I don't know. David, you don't..."

"Then it's settled. I'll go get the doctor."

And he left before I could stop him.

About 5 minutes passed and he returned with a doctor.

"You want to be released, eh?"

"Well, I mean David is the one and I know if I'm not healthy that and it's not a problem if..."

"Slow down. Your vitals seem to be ok. I want to do a few things before you go first ok?" We agreed.

"Ok, so Hayden, I'm going to grab a wheelchair and we'll go over to the physical therapy room."

He walked out. 

"This is so exciting! Your first Thanksgiving!"

"I don't see what the big deal is." The doctor came back in with a wheelchair.

"Ok. I'll help you get in." He walked over and took off my oxygen tubes and gave me a hand. I felt my lungs tighten a bit but pushed through it. I knew who much this meant to David. I sat up then swung my legs over the bed. I was already out of breath. I hopped down and with the doctor's help I turned and sat in the chair. "How you doing?"

"I'm...fine"

"Then let's move." The doctor walked in front of me while David pushed me. We walked for a bit until we got to a room. "Come on in." My breathing was stabilizing. It hurt slightly but I guessed that was just from being used to oxygen on me. 

We went over to these parallel bars, most likely for amputees and paralyzed people just starting to walk again. 

"I don't need to see much since your vitals are clear. I just need you to walk across holding the bars then back not holding. Then we'll take it from there." I nodded and got up from the wheelchair. It felt really weird being back on my feet. I can't even remember when the last day I walked was. Feeling light headed, I tightened my grip on the bars. I took a deep breath and began walking. My legs ached from being out of use and I was off balanced. I watched the floor as I gently moved across. I reached the end and turned around. I didn't feel ready to let go of the bars. So I began walking back with one hand instead of both. I stumbled a bit and grabbed the other bar. I saw David flinch a bit, which made me happy. I looked up to him and he gave a small smile. I smiled back and realized how out of breath I was. I let go of one bar again and continued walking. I made it to the end and sat back down. My lungs were stinging and my legs were aching, but I couldn't help but smile. For the first time in about a week, I accomplished something. I felt like a little kid after is first time on a potty. 

"You ok, Hayden?"

"Fantastic, David."

"If you want to try again with no bars you can, but as far as I can tell you can handle today. Nothing too hard and I want to see you back by Midnight, ok?"

"Ok. Thank you." He walked out. David walked over to face me. He was smiling so much. It warmed my heart to see him so happy.

"Let's go get some clothes on you then go out to eat."

We walked back to my room where the girls were now awake. (David moved them to the second bed while I was asleep) 

"Ok, one...two...three" Asa whispered as I stumbled through the doorway. Then all three of them shouted

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?

(Asa) NO NOTE

(Eve) BEDS EMPTY

(Penny) CAR GONE!

This made me feel 100x better. They all ran over to me and attacked me. I heard David laughing. He was so cute.

"Ok girls. Hayden needs to get dressed, so go away."

"Ok, hurry though," Eve said and they all went away. David assisted me to the bed then grabbed a suitable outfit. I took off the hospital gown and put my clothes on. When I finished David went and got the girls.

"Ok, are we ready?" The girls jumped in excitement. "Then let's go! Off to Denny's!"

"Denny's?"

"You got a problem with Denny's?" He said it in that macho yet sarcastic tone that I love. "Come on." He grabbed Penny and put her on his shoulders and took my hand. 

Then we walked out of the hospital.

On our way to Denny's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello! I'm sorry it's been so long since I've updated. School is just killing me plus I've got a little neice about to join us. I hope you're enjoying the story!