Part 21

One Month Later...

David's parents accepted to adopt me and the girls. Today is my birthday and we're celebrating by signing the custody release for the girls. 

"Just sign here Mr. Wright. Great. Mr. Hayden Wright is now the legal guardian or Miss Asa Wright, Miss Evelyne Wright, and Miss Patty Wright." The girls all had a big smile on their face. The man handed the certificate to me and we all (the girls, David, his parents, and me) went out to brunch. 

Over the past couple months my epilepsy has gotten worse. I now have to take 2 more pills (on top of what I already took) and I have to wear these sunglasses type thing that make all colour fade a bit. I also have to take an inhaler every 6 hours to help my lungs strengthen back up. At night I have to wear an oxygen + medicine mask. Even with all of these complications, I try to have a smile on my face for the girls. 

I've gone back to school, where I found that I was so far behind. When I got back to my dorm I found someone had taken notes for me. They also wrote down every assignment that I missed. That day I went over to David and thanked him for what he did for me. 

When we got to the restaurant we were seated immediately and started talking. The girls were talking to each other  while colouring their menus, David's parents were talking about their next cruise, which left David and I. 

"Happy Birthday."

"Thanks."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Really?"

"...No"

"That's what I thought, now speak up."

"What if this is all a mistake? Like, what if I can't handle it? School plus girls plus work..."

"It's ok. I'm going to help you."

"...Really?"

"Yeah. Did you think I was just going to dump you 4 on the side of the road?"

"No... but I didn't think you were..." The waiter cut me off asking about drinks. 

We ordered our drinks then I started playing tic tac toe with the girls.

Everything was perfect.

And for the first time in forever...

it stayed that way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And that's where we end. I would love to tell you more but, there is no more to tell. At least, not yet. I can tell you that my dad got a lifetime sentence to prison for murder and child abuse and we had a lovely ceremony for my mum. 

I'm still young. Still in school. Still a teenager. This was just part of my story. Part of my life. I'm still alive. Still breathing on my own. (kind of) 

David. Asa. Patty. Eve.

Elise.

Mum.

This is my family. The people I care about. As long as I'm alive, they will be a part of me.

And now, my story continues. 

But for now...

The End