Part 5

The first week of school always was the same. I start walking to my classes with Sean and everybody stares. Luckily, this usually goes away by the second or third week. This school was super accepting, apparently. Most of the staring went away by the third day at school.

"Hey, Hayden."
"Hey, Zach. What's up?"
"The sky."
"Smart ass."
"At your service." He did a little bow.
"Hey, guys."
"Hey, Ashley."
"Hayden, you have calculus right?"
"Yeah, why?"
"You good at it?"
"I guess."
"You guess? Ash, he's the smartest in the class."
"Ok, you wanna earn some cash?"
"What do you need, Ash?"
"A tutor. I am getting a D in the class and if I fail then I can't do my sports. I don't have much but I'll pay you $5 an hour."
"I'll tutor you but on one condition." Zach and Ash looked puzzled. I never asked for anything more.
"What? I'll do anything"
"You keep your money."
"You don't want it?"
"No I don't. I don't need it."
"OK. Thanks short stack." Then she walked away.
"I'm not short Zach. I'm like your height."
"Haha keep thinking that." He patted me on the shoulder then walked off.
--------------------------
I kept on thinking about my height all day. Then came a class with David.

"David. Can I ask you something?"
"What short stack."
"Why is everyone calling me that?"
"Because it's true." David is the tallest person ever. He was 6' so anyone would look short compared to him. "Ok, how tall are you, Hayden."
"Like 1.54 meters."
"In American, please"
"Like 5' 4" I think."
"Dude, you're really short."
"Whatever." Class started and we took our seats. It was boring, as usual. The day continued and at the end of it I went back to my dorm.
I walked in and saw there was a note from Adam.

Hey Hayden, mail came today. There was a letter for you from your sister or someone. I put it on your desk. Also, I'm going to be gone next week for a service unit training. Only rule is don't burn down our room. I don't care if you let people in just don't let them sleep over. I'm leaving tomorrow.
~Adam

I went over to my desk and found a very sparkly letter. I opened it and found a letter in very bad handwriting.

Dear Hayden,
Hi! How are you? Is school ok? I remember you would come home with Elise and you would be crying. I miss her. I also miss you so much. I still feel bad for hurting you. Hey, we started school and guess what. Eve is starting to learn colours. She can spell red, green, and blue. She also spells grey but she spells it G-R-A-Y because her teacher said that's how you spell it. Americans spell a lot of things weirdly. I was sad yesterday. I felt like you. In class we had to write our favourites and people were making fun of me for talking funny and spelling favourite wrong. Everyone was laughing except for this one boy named Sam. He's really cool. I sit next to him and he spelled favourite with a u just like me so I felt better. We're best friends now. Hayden, I need to tell you something. I'm doing something naughty. Daddy said that I can't write to you. I had to buddie. I'm sorry. I can't wait until Holiday! Oh, Hayden, I almost forgot! We're in America,that means we celebrate thanks day. I forgot what it's called but we get a week off. You can come see us then! Ok well I need to go. Bye!
♡ Asa

I loved my sister. She was so sweet. I'm glad that she met a new friend. When I finished reading the letter Adam burst through the door.

"Oh hey, Hayden. Did you read your letter?"
"Yeah. It was from my sister." He was searching through binders on his desk for something. "Adam, can I ask you something?"
"Of course. What's up?"
"What's thanks day? My sister wrote that but I have no idea what she's talking about."
"She probably meant Thanksgiving. We get a week off. It's always the 3rd Thursday of November. AH YES!" He found whatever he was looking for.
"Ok thanks Adam."
"Anytime." Then he left.
---------------------------
I was in the middle of taking my night pills when someone came in my dorm. Laughter filed the room. It scared me and I fell to the ground. I was in the middle of taking a pill so I quickly swallowed the water in my mouth. They walked over to me. It was Ashley, David, Grant, and Zachary.
"Why are you on the floor?" Grant said.
"You scared me. How did you get in?"
"Door is unlocked."
"We're going out for dinner, wanna come?" Ashley asked.
"Sure." David gave me his hand to help me up. "Give me a sec." I quickly took the rest of my pills and put the bottles back in my desk cupboard. I grabbed Sean's vest and leash and put it on him. "Ok. I'm ready."
"Cool let's go." David said. We walked out and went to Ashley's car.
It was dark so when we got in and buckled, I leaned my head back and covered my eyes with my hands.
"What are you doing, Hayden?" It sounded like David.
"Just turning oxygen into carbon dioxide."
"You say I'm the smart ass." This made everyone laugh.
"No but seriously, Hayden. Why are you covering your eyes?" Grant said. We were driving by now.
"The lights outside mess with my head."
"Why?" Ashley asked.
"It's, um, complicated." I didn't know why I didn't want to tell them. I just wasn't ready.
There was a pause of silence then David broke the ice with a funny joke. After that nobody asked me questions and there was no more tension.