Part 9

Trapped. I can't move.

I tried to look around but I couldn't even open my eyes.

Where am I? What happened?

I managed to open my eyes. Everything was blurry and it was hard to keep them open. It felt like 1,000 bricks were on my eyelashes. 

I heard distant voices. 

"Hayden... are you awake?"

"Hmmm?"

"How you feeling?"

"Hmmm?" I could only groan.

"Yeah, it looked pretty rough."

"Here Ash. Fries and a drink."

"Thanks David."

"Has he woken up yet?"

"Kind of. He tried to look around but had a hard time keeping his eyes open. Then he started groaning."

"At least he's not dead."

"Yeah." She sighed.

"Hey, it's going to be ok. Hayden's been through this since he was 7 or something. He's still here."

"I wish we could call his parents. They deserve to know."

"We don't have their number and we can't get into Hayden's phone. There's nothing we can do."

"I know."

There was a loud ringing noise in my ears then my mind flew away. No more sound. 

When I got my mind back it was foggy. I opened my eyes with ease and looked around. I saw David asleep on the couch. He looked so amazing. I started to sit up but stopped because there was a pain in my side. I yelped in pain. This caused David to wake up.

"Hayden, don't move. It's ok. You're ok." He said this with relief in his voice. 

I managed to get some words out. "David? What... what's... where?"

"Shhhh. It's ok. You had a really bad seizure a while ago and you've been in the hospital ever since."

"Wait, but..."

"It's ok. I'll explain everything when you're stronger." He walked back to the couch and took out his phone. A few minutes later a doctor came in.

"Hayden, you're awake! Nice to see you again. How you feeling?"

"Bad."

"Great. Can you count to 10 for me?"

"1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10." My words slurred together and I mumbled.

"Good." He wrote things on a paper then mumbled, "What's the date? 6 November."

"What?"

"I didn't say anything. Now follow the.."

"No. What's the date?"

"It's um November 6th."

"No it's not. It's like October 20th or something."

"Hayden, I didn't want to tell you this yet but, you were asleep for a couple weeks."

"No...no I wasn't."

"Yes, you were. You had a very serious seizure and your body couldn't handle the strain. Now. can you please follow my pen." He moved his pen around and I followed it with my eyes. Then he checked if my pupils were dilating correctly by shining a light in them. "Ok. I'm going to get a nurse and we're going to get that feeding tube out of you." He left the room and I looked at David.