Part 15-David's POV

We walked over to the elevator. When it opened we walked in and I pushed the 3.

"David, I want you to know that I really do think we should put the whole fight behind us."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I think we can agree that it was stupid and it's time to let the whole thing go. Especially now."

"I would like that. Thanks, Grant."

"So... without offence, are you and Hayden dating?"

"What?! No!"

"Ok...ok. I just wanted to ask because you know I saw you two earlier in the bed and I just didn't want to assume anything."

"Thank you for not assuming. And for the thousandth time, I'm not gay."

"Keep thinking that." He muttered this but I still heard it.

The door opened and I led the way to the cafeteria. We grabbed 4 sandwiches and a soup for Hayden then went to check out. 

"So... what have you 2 been up to?"

"Nothin' much. School. Work."

"Work?"

"Oh yeah. I got an internship at a production place."

"You know that's not a real job, right?"

"Yeah I know."

We walked out of the cafeteria and back to the elevator. I hit 4 and we began to rise. We talked about school stuff like Rockwell's essay and King's project. We walked right past Hayden's room because the door and blinds were closed. I opened the door to find Ashley bleeding on the floor, flowers and broken glass everywhere, and Hayden suffocating. Grant ran over to Ashley as I ran to Hayden. Zach set the food on a table and ran to go get help. I touched his hand and quickly looked to what the breathing tube was hooked to. It had CO in it. I knew that wasn't oxygen so I quickly took off the mask. Hayden began breathing a bit better and a moment later he opened his eyes. I leaned over him more to make sure he was ok. 

I looked in his beautiful eyes.

And I swear, time stopped. 

My heart was beating fast.

Then he suddenly sat up and kissed me.

I kissed back.

But it didn't last. Almost as quickly as he sat up, he fell back down gasping for air. Right then a couple nurses came in. One ran to Ash the other to Hayden. I backed away and they started helping. There is always two beds in one room, but Hayden didn't share a room with anyone, so the nurse carefully picked Ash up and brought her to the empty bed. 

"Who the hell brought this in?!" Said the nurse helping Hayden. She picked up the small tank labeled CO and quickly shut the valve. I had forgotten to do that. She then quickly put another mask on Hayden with a tank labeled O2. "You! Open the window! You! Shut the door!" Grant and I did so. 

"Grant, what is that?" I whispered.

"Carbon monoxide."

"Isn't that like...poisonous?"

"Very. You can die if you inhale it for too long." 

Something died inside of me. I shot my eyes over at Hayden who was still gasping for air even with the oxygen mask on. We were gone for less than 15 minutes. How long did he have that on? He wasn't hooked up to anything. Not an IV, or heart monitor, or blood pressure monitor, or oxygen control. He was stable. Then in less than 5 minutes he had everything hooked up to him.

And I jinxed him. 

I thought: Well at least he didn't have a seizure. Then...

More nurses came in. The one working on Ash stopped and brought in more oxygen tanks.

"You 3. Come here." We followed her to the chairs by the window. "Put these on. I don't know if you were infected by the gas but just in case. At least 30 minutes. Don't get up." We did so. Ash already had an oxygen tank and had most of the cuts covered. She was hooked up to a heart monitor. 

Hayden's seizure stopped and he was semi-stable. His heart rate was not as concerning and his breathing was semi-steady. A nurse opened the blinds back up. One nurse stayed to observe Ash and Hayden while the rest left. I had a really bad headache and wanted to go to sleep. Right when I was drifting off I spotted a man.

His dad.

Fricken Mr. James Wright!

I tore off the mask and took off after him. Some people tried to stop me but I didn't listen. I was about to grab him when a nurse stopped me and ordered that I go back to the room. I obliged.

I walked into the room and noticed something by Hayden's bed. The nurse was at Ash so I went over and picked it up. 

I opened it and read it. 

Mum,

I am so sorry. I can't do this anymore. You care for me and see the most of the reality, but one thing you miss constantly is Dad. I have to leave. I love you. Tell the girls I said goodbye and please take care of Sean.

Love Hayden

Hey shit parents,

Don't be surprised if cops come knocking on your door tomorrow.

David

It was the note we left for his mom, but something was different. Just underneath my part was another part.

Oh son. You have so many flaws. 1. No evidence 2. Your mother will never believe you and 3. you can't call the cops if you're dead
Watch your back. Your little boyfriend can't protect you forever 

P.S. If you or your friends does something stupid, you won't be hurting just yourself

Something clicked. I remembered that the only reason Hayden kept going back to the wretched family is because of 1 thing.

His sisters.