Part 12-David's POV

We walked up to Hayden's room. I was confused because Hayden's mom seems very nice and his sisters are super sweet. He is such a great big brother.

We started talking about nothing and everything. Hayden was thirsty so we went down to the kitchen. They talked a bit and I was just in awe about how amazing his house was. He insisted that he wasn't rich but I knew better. Marble everywhere. A chandelier and 2 grand stair cases.

We walked over to the living room and talked for a while. Then, Hayden's dad came home. It was soft but we heard all the horrible things he was saying. Then Hayden sighed and got up. I followed him. He was so sweet. He went to the kitchen and with a small smile (the perfect one) he said we would set the table. He got the plates and I got the silverware. We began to set the table. I went back and got the napkins and he pulled down all his pill bottles and placed them at his spot. His sisters came down and eventually everyone was seated.

I have to say, that was the most interesting family dinner I have ever experienced. 

It started right before Hayden's mom started the prayer. He leaned over and said I didn't have to follow if I felt uncomfortable. I followed anyways because Mormons come from the Christian/Catholic religion, so we worship the same God. After the prayer Hayden took his pills and we all began to ate. Hayden's mom asked a few questions to Hayden them moved to Asa. 

"...How's your school going, Asa?"

"Good. We're starting cursive. My teacher said I have the neatest hand writing."

"They still teach that crap? Listen to me darling." You could tell that his dad was so drunk. "Life never gives you lemons so you don't need to learn cursive."

"What?" She was so confused.

He didn't reply. He just stared at her while she looked around at everyone completely confused. Hayden was the first to speak.

"I think what Dad's trying to say is that..." He started but was abruptly interrupted.

"Don't back sass me you cripple!" 

What his dad did was so unbelievable, it took me a second to register what had happened. What he had said to his own son. When I realized that Hayden was on the floor bleeding I grabbed my unused napkin and dropped to the floor to help him. When he felt like he could stand, I helped him ease to his chair. The dinner was finished in silence. Hayden and I finished around the same time. When we were done we got up and went to his room.

I was surprised to find out that his dad had never done something like that. While we were talking his mom came in to check on us. 

"Boys, can I come in."

"Yeah mum." 

"Are you ok Hayden?"

"I'm fine."

"You know he didn't mean it."

"I know."

"I'm sorry David. He's usually not like this. He must have had a stressful day at work."

Hayden looked over at me. He shot me a glare and I understood to follow his lead, even though I wanted to slap her.

"I understand. Work can be very stressful."

"Thanks for understanding." She came over and kissed Hayden's head then walked out.

A couple hours passed and I could tell Hayden was practically passing out.

"Maybe we should get some sleep." I suggested.

"Ok. Good night."

"Night." Then I went to my room next door.

I was practically asleep when I heard footsteps coming down the hall. I didn't think anything of it, probably Hayden's mom going to check on him. I started to worry a bit when I heard Sean being taken out of his room, but my mind eased as I thought that maybe he needed to use the bathroom. I was almost asleep when I heard whimpering coming from Sean, a yelp. I didn't want to get up so i began to think of reasons in which everything was ok. That quickly ended when I began hearing muttering, then slap, then whining, then muttering, slap, whine, muttering, slap, whine, then crying. I started to get up slowly because I was so tired and weak. That changed when I heard a faint, but distinct Dad please stop. I ran over to his room and opened the door. I saw Hayden on the floor with blood scattered. A tall man was over him. He turned and without thinking, I punched him. He fell to the floor and I kneeled to help Hayden. I managed to help him up, his weight all on me, then help him out his room. We started walking when Hayden whispered stop so we stopped. He looked down to see Sean laying there. I noticed his leg completely broken. We started to go to the stairs when one of his sisters came out.