Part 11

Mum was in the kitchen making dinner. It was about 6 at night and David and I had just came out of my room. We walked over to the kitchen to get some water.

"Hey mum. What's for dinner?"

"Just some chicken and pasta."

"Cool."

"Your father should be here in a few moments." I stopped moving. I had been dreading seeing my father.

We got water and sat down on the couch. We talked for a bit then 15 minutes later...

"Mary! Mary the fuck car is in the driveway?"

You could just instantly tell he was drunk.

"That would be your son's. Why don't you go say hello to him?"

"Why would I talk to that sorry piece of shit you call my son."

"He is not a piece of shit. He is your son and he's in the living room."

David and I were listening closely.

"I don't even care about him. What's for dinner?"

"Chicken and pasta. Can you set the table hunny?"

"Why would I do it? You're the woman." We heard a cork pop and knew he was drinking again.

I got up and walked to the kitchen. David followed.

"I'll set the table, Mum." I gave her a small kiss on the cheek. Dad was already out of the kitchen.

David and I set the table then when we were done we went and got the girls.

David and I sat at the table and then the girls followed. I got up and put Patty in her high chair and then sat back down.

My mum came next then, finally, my dad. He came and kissed all of my sisters then sat down.

Each place setting was the same, except for mine, which was accompanied by pill bottles.

I leaned to David and whispered, "We're probably going to pray. You don't have to if you don't want to."

"What religion are you?"

"Catholic."

"Ok."

My mum started off the way she always does.

"Dear heavenly Father. We thank you for blessing us with this meal and for giving Hayden the strength to over come his latest seizure." My dad roomed his eyes and gave a little humph to that. "We thank you for blessing us with our wonderful guest this holiday and..."

My dad swiftly cut her off "Blah blah blah blessing blah God is good blah amen."

We all sat in astonishment then mum finally said amen and we followed her. We started eating and then mum started the conversation.

"So, Hayden, how's school going?"

"Fine. I've met some really cool people."

"That's nice. How's your school going, Asa?"

"Good. We're starting cursive. My teacher said I have the neatest hand writing."

"They still teach that crap? Listen to me darling." Dad was so drunk. "Life never gives you lemons so you don't need to learn cursive."

"What?" She was so confused.

He didn't reply. He just looked at her like she was supposed to know what that meant.

"I think what dad's trying to say is that..." I started but was abruptly interrupted.

"Don't back sass me you cripple!" Then he slapped me across the face. He had a large hand so needless to say it fricken hurt. I fell off the chair and my nose started to bleed.