Part 6

We were still in the car and I debated whether or not to look to try to figure out where we were going, but I figured that I wouldn't know anyways so there was no point. 

I was very sensitive to stops. Every time we came to a stop I held my breath until I felt the car fully stop. David noticed that and leaned forward to Ashley and said something. I couldn't tell what he said, but based on him, I assumed it was not going to be good.

Was I right?

Of course I was.

Ashley started to make the stops really hard. Like. she would start to slow down like a normal stop, then abruptly slam the brake down. This would have been fine if she did it on every stop. But no, she did it once and a while so I would always gasp when she did it. 

We started to go really fast so I presumed that we got on the freeway. I felt a lot safer because I knew we wouldn't be stopping as often. Grant started cracking science jokes.

"So, did you hear Oxygen and Potassium went on a date? It went OK." He was the only one laughing. 

"Ok fine. I went to the library yesterday to pick up a book about anti-gravity. I couldn't put it down." That one we all eventually laughed at.

"See, you're all nerds too."

There was a sound like someone was banging on the roof.

"What's that?" I asked.

"What's what?" Ashley replied.

"That sound."

"Oh that, it's just rain."

"That makes sense."

There was a pause.

"Guys, is that an ambulance?" 

"Yes, David. That's an ambulance. Very observant of you."

"There's no need for the sarcasm, Grant."

"Will you two shut up? You're like an old married couple." Zach said.

Ashley laughed, "Lord knows it's possible for David."

"What does that mean?"

"Please, David. Everyone knows you're gay."

"I'm not gay." He was getting angry.

"Wow, take a chill pill."

"Take a chill pill? Ash, I'm not gay."

"David, I think she was just joking."

"No I wasn't Grant. Seriously? No one else thinks David's gay?"

Silence

"Ok, but I'm calling it. David's gay."

"Even if I was, you know I can't be." This sparked my interest.

"Why?" I asked.

"'cause I'm Mormon. It's against my religion."

"David, really, anyone in this car, I think we can all agree that if someone was gay, we wouldn't judge, hate, or discriminate."

"Ha that sounds like a cheer. We don't judge! We don't hate! We don't bully or DISCRIMINATE!"

"Wow, Ash. Way to ruin a very emotional talk with your cheer."

"Shut up, David."

Suddenly, everyone gasped and we stopped very suddenly. I was thrown forward and had to stop myself. This made me have to look at the lights. We started to slide on the wet ground and to stop us crashing into the car in front of us, Ashley pulled the wheel which made us spin around. We got traction again and stopped. We were facing the traffic which meant that I was looking directly at lights. Some were flashing. All were bright. I went from having a scared look to a blank stare. Staring at the lights.