Part 20

I looked at her for what seemed like eternity. I had lost her. She wasn't perfect, I knew that. I was her only son and I was broken. I caused her more pain than anyone. I grew up with my sister, and she died only months ago. Every birthday. Every holiday. Gone. My mum. There everyday. Every hospital. Every seizure. Every cold and flu. Every single day, she was there. And now, she's not. She's just lying there. Dad. There every day. Worked his ass off. Made sure we had food for dinner every single night. Took care of the girls when mum was with me. Stayed up with me during my panic attacks. Took long drives for medicine. All for what? Becoming drunk and murdering.

I stayed down with her lifeless body for a couple more minutes, although it seemed like eternity. I didn't notice my father waking up and being arrested. I didn't notice Asa slowly walking up to me and mum. I didn't notice David come with the other girls. I didn't notice the now semi empty room. I could only notice her and realizing how much I needed her and how much she meant to me. And that she was gone. Forever.

My mum.

My sister.

My dad.

Gone.

"Hayden..." a small, quiet, squeaky voice said. I looked up. Penny, little Penny was staring at me. "What's happening?"

I wanted to just burst into tears again, but I knew I couldn't. I had my moment, it was theirs now.

"Come here..." she walked over and sat in my lap. "You're not going to know why, or how for a long time, but all you need to know is I'm going to take care of you." I saw David looking at me. He was holding a crying Asa with Eve on his shoulder. "It's gong to be tough, but whatever happens, I'm going to be with you."

Asa stopped crying and came over to me. Penny got up and Asa sat with me. "Promise?"

"I promise, Asa." I wrapped her in my arms and for a moment, everything was silent. There was no crying nor laughing. There was no screaming or shouting or yelling. There was no seizure. Everything was still. The police came in and bent down next to David. They talked for a minute then the police went back out and came back with paramedics. They examined David, Penny, and Eve first then came to me and Asa. I let go of her and they examined us. They put my arm in a sling and wrapped my wound. I almost forgot about it.

Everything that happened to me.
Everything that went wrong in my life.
It was all over.

Dad was taken to jail.
Mum was dead.
My twin sister... took my money.
Sean was dead (he died after we left that night)
Ginnifer was... somewhere outside... lost.
My little sisters were traumatized.
And David

David is still here

Through all of this, he never left

I looked over to him. His eyes filled with sorrow as if his own mother died. He has done so much for me and my sisters.

He's so handsome and smart and sweet.

"Hayden, we need to go."

"Ok." I stood up and began walking out of the house. The house where I cried and my mother died.

We walked out of the house. 5 of us.

~~~~~~~~~~

We waited for a long time. Just sitting in the driveway. I was holding Asa. We were the ones who got hurt the most. She told me. He hit her while I was away. We were both victims. I reminded him of Elise, and she was thought of a replacement. He hit me harder, but that doesn't ease the fact that he still hit Asa.

We sat there on the curb. Some neighbors were called out to ask if they were witnesses and some came out just because. A couple came up to me to see if we were ok. Some went to David.

It was when a man came up to David that everything stopped. There was no more crying. We had to face reality.

David walked up to me. "Hayden, we need to sort some legal things out."

"Hello, my name is Richard C. Thorne. You must be Mr. Wright."

We shook hands. "Hayden."

"Yes, how old are you?"

David and I looked at each other.

"17"

He wrote down things.

"Birthdate?"

"Why do you need to know this?"

"Because, here in America you must be 18 years of age to adopt. You are only 17, this means your sisters... you can't be their legal guardian. I'm sorry." He began to walk away but I stopped him.

"But I'm related. And I'm turning 18 in like a month."

"I'm sorry, it's the law."

"What will happen to them?"

"Well, they'll go into foster care and... so will you."

"What?!"

"You are not an adult, so by law you are an orphan and need to have care."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He began to walk away again but it was David who stopped him.

"Wait! What if I adopt them?"

"Are you 18?"

"Well, no but my parents are. They can adopt them then once Hayden is 18, they can release custody over to him."

"David, you would do that?"

"Of course. I've seen what happens to family orphans. They all get split up and, I can't see that happen to you guys. Besides, you're basically family."

"We'll need the approval of your parents, but this could work. Here's my card. You have a week to get all the papers signed or else you 4 get put in foster care."

The conversation sunk into me like sinking into quicksand. Slow, and somewhat painful. What if his parents refused? The girls would be separated. What if I never saw them again?

What if I lost them too?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'M SOOOO SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG!!! I have been stressing out over my school grades and family stuff. I promise the next part will be out soon!!!

~Emilie