Prologue

"Alright, play a little bit and then come back. We are having your favorite tonight!" Satarou's foster mother, Lisa, called out to him, smiling. She was rubbing her stomach. She has been pregnant with a little boy for four months.

Little eight-year-old Satarou grinned widely as he played in the sand, building a castle. Very focused and happily, he finished the last touches on his sand castle.

He turned to Lisa and her husband, Masato, and gave them the biggest grin they've seen in their life from anyone, "Look mommy, daddy, I built a castle! We can live in it and be happy and everyone will love us!"

"Yes, honey. Now come on, let's go inside and eat" Lisa smiled fondly at her adopted child. The truth was, she didn't get him from an orphanage. He was found abandoned and bloody on the beach. He was no older than the age of two. He had washed up ashore in front of her house, and she thought it was fate that brought this beautiful child to her and her husband.

"Yes, mommy!" Satarou called out with glee and skipped over to her. He was so happy to follow them inside. In fact, he was just happy to have a family. He wasn't always that way, though. It took him two years after being found before he would even speak to them. They had known he had been abandoned, but to this day, they don't know why he had been really bloody when he was washed up. They don't know how he survived that, either. Satarou doesn't remember a thing about it, but they thought it was a miracle he had made it out alive and washed up ashore right in front of their house.

All three of them sat at the table, eating chicken with a side of home-made fries and freshly grown greenbeans.

"This food is so good!" Satarou declared, "I want to cook, too!"

That caused his foster father, Masato, to laugh. "Alright, alright. You can help your mother with dinner tomorrow, then."

Sure enough, the next day Satarou was helping his mother in the kitchen.

"Alright, dear, will you wash these potatoes for me?"

Satarou's eyes lit up at the question. The corners of his lips tugged upwards in a grin, "yes, mommy!" With so much enthusiasm, he dipped a rag into the bucket full of water and began to wipe the potatoes clean. "All done!"

Lisa laughed. "That's very good to hear, dear. Will you cut them up for me?"

"Yes, yes, yes!" Satarou said excitedly, beginning to chop up the potatoes just as enthusiastically.

"Be careful not to cut yourself, dear!" Lisa smiled.

"Mommy, I won't!" Satarou kept his eyes focused on the potatoes, being careful not to cut himself by accident.

Masato chose that moment to enter the room, his eyes filling with joy at the sight of his son and wife making dinner together. "Don't hurt yourself, kiddo" he told Satarou.

"Daddy!" Satarou pouted cutely, "I'm not a baby! I won't hurt myself!"

Masato laughed. "I know you aren't a baby, kiddo."

It wasn't much longer until they finished cooking dinner, Lisa and Masato teasing little Satarou the whole time.

The three of them sat in the dinner room, chatting happily as always.

Eight months has passed with Lisa teaching Satarou how to cook the whole time. He now has a three-month-old brother named Yui.

"Satarou, dear! Will you go to the store to get me some tomatoes!" Lisa called, smiling, "can you take Yui, too? He would love some fresh air."

"Yes, mommy" Satarou told her. He picked up little Yui and walked out of the house towards the supermarket. It was common for him to take Yui to the supermarket when he had to buy ingredients for dinner. Lisa wasn't worried since the crime rate in their small, sandy village was very low; the worst of the crimes being littering.