Chapter Twenty-Four

Satarou was walking down the streets with Yui, hand-in-hand to keep the younger kid from getting lost. Majarok was at work. Satarou would be, too, if Majarok hadn't made him take the day off in favor of spending it with Yui.

Satarou always put Yui first before himself. When Satarou had barely managed to make any money and the animals were in hibernation for the Winter, Satarou even went as far as to starve to make sure Yui had enough to eat.

Satarou learned how to hunt just so he can make sure Yui always had food on his plate. But, Satarou knew that he was failing as Yui's brother.

Satarou was caught off guard when the six-year-old asked, "why don't we have parents, brother?" He pointed to a lovely couple down the road who had two kids with them, "parents disappearing isn't a normal thing, is it? That family has both parents!"

Satarou bit his lip for a second, deep in thought, before he shook his head. "I'm sorry, Yui. Our parents aren't in this world anymore."

Yui smiled like a kid who just got a toy for Christmas, "they aren't? Does that mean they traveled to another dimension? They can travel? We have awesome parents!"

Satarou shook his head, sadly. "No. I'm sorry, Yui. They aren't alive anymore." Satarou felt a deep sadness fill his heart as Yui's face completely crumbled and tears filled his eyes like giant puddles of water.

Jaw quivering, Yui asked, "what happened? Why did they die?"

Satarou picked up his little brother and smiled softly, "it's okay, Yui. They are in a better place now."

Yui clung onto Satarou's shoulders as he was held, and Satarou rubbed soothing circles into the younger kid's back.

Suddenly, Satarou was shoved into darkness.

Wandering around the darkness, Satarou frowned and called, "hello?" There was no answer. No matter how much he walked, he was in complete darkness.

He didn't know what he tripped on, but he was almost in tears as he caught himself on his hands and knees. From there, he sat down and wrapped his arms around his knees.

"Where am I?" Satarou asked, frowning. Looking down, he noticed that he at least had his mother's necklace to comfort him.

Looking back up, he noticed that Yui was now standing in front of him with eyes filled with hatred.

"Yui?" Satarou asked quizzically.

"Why did you let them die, brother?" Yui asked.

Even more confused, Satarou questioned, "what?"

"Why did you let our parents die?" Yui repeated.

Eyes widening, a river of tears flowed down Satarou's face, "do you really blame me for that, brother?"

"You killed them, brother" Yui said, "they are dead because of you."

"No! No!" Satarou backed away, but there was no where to escape to, "I didn't, Yui! You have to believe me!"

"Maybe you should just die, brother" Yui still kept a poker face, and suddenly Yui burst into bright flames that caused Satarou to cover his eyes with one arm. When the flames went down, Satarou removed his arm to realize that Yui was no longer there.

"Yui?" Satarou asked before it dawned on him, "Yui!" Tears continued to fall as the loss of his brother felt very real.