Chapter Seven

Satarou woke up in the middle of the night. Looking to his right, he saw his brother sprawled out in one corner, sleeping in a river of drool. To his left, Lightning was sleeping in another corner sprawled out, kicking in his sleep.

After a few minutes of trying to fall back asleep, Satarou crawled to the door of the tent, quietly unzipping it so he could get out. The sky was littered with stars that shone brighter than the sun on this beautiful starry night. Blinking in the distance was a crowd of fireflies.

Satarou carefully cupped one of the beautiful fireflies in his hand and silently watched it as it shone in his hand. A lone tear slipped down Satarou's cheek.

"You are so innocent, aren't you, little firefly?" Satarou whispered. In reply, the firefly's light went out for a second before shining brighter than before. "Maybe I should have been born a firefly. At least then I don't have to worry about getting revenge on Casper or letting my brother down, or..." Tears were streaming down his face now. Satarou wasn't usually the type to cry, but sometimes he had to let out all of that pent up anger. "I wouldn't have to worry about my brother finding out that I almost died."

Slowly, Satarou uncupped his hands and watched as the firefly flew away to join the rest of the fireflies in the distance, lighting up different paths.

The beautiful starry night was only filled with the sounds of the crickets, the leaves crunching under Satarou's foot, and the flow of the river.

Satarou ran one of the sleeves of his kimono across his cheeks, wiping away his tears. He sat down on the thin damp grass.

Satarou didn't remember falling asleep, but he woke up a few hours later, still next to the river. Satarou bolted upright when he realized that Sparrow had been creeping closer to him.

"What do you want?" Satarou demanded. Sparrow's stare was blank and emotionless.

Sparrow didn't answer Satarou at all. The two didn't break eye contact for several more minutes when Asuna walked by.

"Oh, Sparrow!" her smile brightened and grew wider as she took steps closer. Then she noticed Satarou, "oh, hi Satarou!"

Satarou didn't answer her, nor did Sparrow look away from the angry teen.

"Oh, did something happen?" her voice was laced with sadness and disappointment as she tried to figure out what happened.

"He's up to something" Satarou growled, "you shouldn't trust him!"

Sparrow finally broke eye contact and smiled widely at Asuna, "Asuna! I'm sorry, I was lost in thought. Nothing happened with us."

"Oh, okay" Asuna had a small frown painting her features, and it was very obvious that she was suspicious. " Oh, Satarou! Yui is looking for you!"

The feisty teen nodded, heading back to the village. There were hundreds of trees that surrounded the campsite and the river. Satarou had no problem maneuvering himself through the trees and finding the campsite.

Upon arrival, he noticed that Yui was having an animated coversation with Leon. He thought Leon would have left by now.

"Satarou!" Tiny smiled, calling out to him. The teen nodded his acknowledgment to him. "So were you at the Black Jasper clan?"

"Yes" Satarou gave his reply.

"How was that?" it was obvious that Tiny was trying to get to know his clan mate.

"I met someone who looked exactly like you" confusion crossed Satarou's features as he remembered meeting Rafeal.

Tiny was stiff and couldn't bring himself to move. His feet were frozen to the ground, and fear crossed his features. "What was the person's name?"