The More You Fight The Stronger You Get

Maisie

"Mae, you look fine. Calm down please" Nicole begs grabbing my shoulders stoping me from pacing the room. As the week went by it slipped my mind that my date with Jonathan was today. I tried backing out but I know if I do that both Nicole and Jackson would never talk to me again.

"Mommy you look pretty" Jackson says and I pick him up placing him on my hip.

"Thanks Jack Attack, love you" I say kissing his cheek and he wipes at it. I set him down and there's a knock on the door.

"I'll get it" Jackson cheers opening the door. Jonathan comes in and his eyes quickly find mine. He sends me a smile and I tuck a piece of hair behind my ear. It was straightened and well below my butt now, and always in the way as usual.

"Wow Maisie... you look amazing" he breathes. I was going to answer but my much-less-cooler roommate was almost having a panic attack. Nicole was 54 but the best roommate ever. She's taken care of Jackson and I and oh yeah... she looooves the Blackhawks.

"Wait a fucking second. You said you were going out with Jonathan, not Jonathan Toews" she screeches.

"Ohhhh Aunt Nicki said fuck" Jackson says and I run my hand down my face. He comes beside me and I bend down the best I could in this little red dress.

"Alright buddy, take care of Aunt Nicki" I start and she pouts from the kitchen.

"Kung Fu Panda and Wall-E are already in the DVD player. Dinner is in the fridge and you better be in bed by the time I get home" I say bopping his nose.

"I will mommy, I promise" he replies and I smile.

"Love you" I say giving him a kiss on his cheek. 

"Love you too" he says and with that we were on our way. We get in Jon's car and he turns to look at me.

"You really look great" he says and I try to hide my blush behind my hair.

"Thank you. You look very handsome" I reply and the right side of his cheek turns into a smile. He starts driving and I watch the city life go by. I roll the window down and let the wind weave in and out my loose flowing hair. I hadn't been on a date since I was in high school. In retrospect that was only a few year ago, but it felt like a lifetime. We pull up to Chicago Cut and I had to laugh.

"What? Do you not like this place? Because we can go somewhere else" he insists.

"No, I love it here. So much that this is where I work" I laugh and he smiles.

"I knew your food tasted familiar" he claims. He hops out the car and rushes over to open the door for me. What a gentlemen. We walk in and I see one of my co-workers at the front. Jonathan places his hand on the small of my back and I feel my skin tingle at his touch. I look up into his deep doe eyes and melt into him.

"Wow Mae, is that you" Mike asks and I get shaken out of my trance.

"Yeah, can't seem to get away from here huh" I joke. Jonathan pulls me close and wraps his fingers around my waist. It was a unusual feeling, but a good one.

"Jonathan Toews for two" he says and Mike checks us in. We get taken to a table in the back and I sit across from him. Jonny looks over the menu as I look around the dining area. I'm not out here that much, it sure was nice.

"What do you suggest" he asks.

"The steak and potatoes are always good. The special today is shrimp scampi, which is also so very tasty" I suggest. We order our food and drinks then start talking.