'Tis the Season

Jonathan

After my world nearly crumbled underneath me like Pompeii I finally started getting Maisie's trust back. The thing about trust is that it takes half the effort to lose it than to gain it. It wasn't easy, I had to give her space and I can tell she's still mad but she's trying and that's enough for me to build on. It's been hard, but I know that it's going to be worth it. She doesn't look at me the same way she used to, that let probably hurts the most. But that was all my fault. I shouldn't have told anyone her life story, that was just me being selfish and wanting to sound like a great guy by helping out a troubled girl. I wanted them to know how strong she was but she didn't care what they thought about her. It's so much more than me being the knight in shining armor or her doing this amazing thing, and I should have realized it sooner. I get she's upset and I really hope no one slips up in front of Jackson because of my mistake. I didn't even think about that part. But that's the thing about Maisie, she thinks everything through just to assure that Jackson will be happy. And that's how I wanted to be for her.

Christmas comes around and this time I was just going to spend the holidays around Chicago and not have to travel. With the Olympics coming up I needed to stay here to keep up with the Hawks assuring they're in a good position when we come back and still be ready to represent my country if I'm chosen. After we decorated the place I had to admit it looked really good. Patrick hasn't been around a lot since he likes to spend his time with Emma and Henry but he still brings his stinginess side out, only for me though.

"Oh god, I was in my room for like three hours and I come out and it looks like Santa exploded in here" Patrick moans.

"Grinch" Jackson yells pointing at Patrick and he sticks his tongue out at him. After they bicker for a while and Maisie pulls them apart we head to the kitchen where she makes her famous hot chocolate. I swear there are drugs in this thing, it's so addicting.

"You should invite Emma and Henry over for Christmas" Maisie suggests to Patrick. We were all super close and love hanging out anyway. Might as well.

"I don't know, you don't think that's too much" he asks. He was really into Emma and wasn't sure what to do about it. For once he was the one chasing and I lived every second of this.

"Not at all. I don't know if you noticed, but Emma isn't the one to be intimidated" she giggles.

"Alrighty then, I'll invite them over now" Patrick claims and hops off his stool to go call her.

"That was nice of you" I say wrapping my arms around her as she leans back into me.

"No one should be alone on the holidays. Even though Patrick is with us it's obvious he wants something he can call his own" she claims.

"You're too sweet" I say kissing her neck as she runs her fingers through my hair. I turn her around so she was facing me and I look into her stunning eyes and fall in love all over again.

Christmas morning we wake up and are in front of the Christmas tree by 7 am. Emma and Henry join us as we sip on hot chocolate and watch the boys open presents. I've never seen so many gifts in my life. But between my family and Patrick's family there wasn't anything that wasn't down there for them. Maisie sits in my lap as she watches Jackson tear into presents worth a huge smile on her face.

"Is Jackson moving up with everyone next year for hockey" Emma asks. He's been playing really good but he's still just five.

"I don't know. His coaches want him to move up a tier but he's still small" Maisie admits.

"Let me give him some lessons on not getting hit. He can't get hurt if they can't catch him" Patrick shrugs. He would know that better than anyone around here.

"You would do that" I ask and he nods.

"Yeah. Jacksons got the talent. I want to see him do good" he claims. Nice to know.

"Mommy, daddy, look! I got a car and a huge transformer" he cheers trying lift the transformer over his head.

"Wow buddy! That's awesome" I smile as he starts to mess with the life sized transformer my parents got him.

"Can you come play with us" he asks and I nod.

"Of course little man" I respond. Maisie gets up and grabs the big kid gifts while I sat on the floor and played with them. She returns with a huge box and sets it by me.

"Is this mine" I ask and she nods with a smile.

"It's from Santa" she says with a wink. Jackson helps me open the box only to use the box as a ramp for his transformer. Inside was a brand new guitar, it was beautiful. I take it out and strum it creating an amazing sound.

"How" I ask.

"I talked to your parents over thanksgiving dinner. Your mom said you used to play but stopped once you moved here. I figured it's something you can pick up if you ever wanted" she shrugs.

"It's beautiful" I say looking down at it. I've been meaning to get back into the playing but never had made the effort to. Didn't have a guitar. But now that I do I can't wait to play again.

"Play something daddy" Jackson says and I laugh.

"Okay bud, what do you want to hear" I ask.

"Broken Road" he cheers. Of course.

"Only if mommy sings it with me" I say and Maisie turns red.

"Oh no, no way" she says backing away.

"Come on. Please" Emma begs.

"Yeah I want to hear you sing" Patrick claims and she sighs in defeat. She sits next to me as I start to play the chords. Thank god they were easy ones.

"Now I'm just rolling home
Into my lover's arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That lead me straight to you."

She finishes the song and I have chills all over my arms. That never gets old.

"Wow Mae, your voice is beautiful" Emma whispers. I know she hates singing in front of people but she really had a amazing voice. Calm and strong, blissfully on key. You can tell by watching her sing she really loved that song. And to be honest I did too.