Thanks For Dreaming

Jonathan

"Do you have everything" I ask as Maisie runs around the apartment all types of flustered. I would help her but it was really cute.

"Yeah" she claims seeming a bit overwhelmed.

"Cap and gown?"

"Yup."

"Shoes and camera?"

"Yup!"

"Phone and purse?"

"Yes sir!"

"And your child..."

"Oh my god where is Jackson" she yells.

"Here I am" he cheers coming out of the bathroom. She picks him up and places a big kiss on his cheek. They were so freaking adorable. I want a family if my own like that... one day.

"Alrighty then, let's get this over with" she says walking out the door with Nicole trailing her.

"Please, try to contain your excitement" I joke and she rolls her eyes.

After a rough few weeks Maisie was finally graduating. She put in a request to the UC to be the photographer a while back and was finally relaxing. I told her I could easily get her the job, not that she needed my help. But she refused to take my offer because, and I quote, "no way in hell spent all this time and money to be handed a job". She's independent, that's for sure. But coach Q gave me the morning off so I could see her walk the stage and Jackson could see it too. He sits in my lap as Nicole sat beside me with tears in her eyes.

"Are you crying" I laugh.

"Of course. That girl is the best thing to ever happen to me. There is no person I think more highly of than Maisie. She thinks I help her a lot when in reality it was her helping me. I never had a kid and watching Jackson grow up has been a privilege. Watching her grow up has been just as amazing. I never knew the joys of watching a child grow until I watched that boy. I was never a mother, but to that boy I was one and that means the world to me. When I found Mae she was broken, so scared and unsure of herself. Now look at her, graduating a year early and already ready to take on the world. After my husband died I had nothing, but finding her was a blessing in disguise. I couldn't imagine my life without her" she sniffles. I pull her into a hug and squeeze her tight. Because of people like her, people like Maisie have the opportunity to be who they are. Without Nicole there is no Maisie or Jackson. Who knows what would have happened, but I can promise you it would be nothing like what is happening now.

As people walk across the stage I find myself in a deep train of thought. I was about to turn 21 real soon. The hawks have made it through two rounds of the playoffs and are looking forward to taking on the Red Wings in the conference final. No one thought we could get this far. We have a new coach and a almost 21 year old captain, that's absurd. But on the other hand I always knew we would be good. What's the point of doing it if you think you're going to lose? There's no reason why we shouldn't win the cup this year, we might be young but we're hungry. We've come so far, why stop now?

Then what Nicole says finally sinks in. Sure I've done a lot for Maisie and Jackson, but that's nothing compared to what they've done for me. Maisie took on more responsibility at the age of 16 than 70% of adults, who have been doing the things she's done for years, and did them better than anyone I know. That's inspiring. She proves that age is just a number. If she wants to have a full time job, raise a kid, and go to school and look good doing it, all by herself at that, that's exactly what she's going to do. She's done more for me than even I know, and I question who is really helping who around here.

I get snapped out of my thoughts when I hear Maisie's name be called and I stand up and cheer obnoxiously loud as she struts across the stage. She shakes her head as she accepts her diploma before returning to her seat. I was only in college for a year, I didn't get to get a degree or walk across the stage like this. But that's okay because one day I'll find something better than being handed a diploma, I'll be getting handed the Stanley cup.

After picture after picture after picture she finally agrees to get some food and we find a IHOP. Jackson gets chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream and makes a total mess.

"Jack, I hope you know you're getting a bath when you get home" Maisie warns and he just stuffs his face in the pancakes.

"Why" she laughs trying her best to clean him up.

"I already have to take a bath..." he sing songs and I smirk at him. Smart kid.

"So what are you going to do now that you're not in school anymore" I ask.

"I'll still work at Chicago Cut. It'll just be full time now and wait to hear back from someone about a career" she shrugs.

"Would you ever think about leaving Chicago" I ask. I didn't want her to leave but I also didn't want to be the reason she stayed here when her dreams were elsewhere.

"Chicago is a beautiful city full of culture and plenty of interesting things for me to photograph. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else" she claims causing me to smile. We finish up lunch and head to the UC so I can get a skate in and Jackson can too.

"I want you to get lower to the ice. Keep your stick down and your head up. It'll help you pick up speed and allow you to read plays then react" I instruct standing behind the goal and he nods. We run drills and work on accuracy and passing before I started getting tired.

"Again" he cheers and I laugh. Was this what I was like as a kid?

"Okay, one more time" I agree running the drill once more. He never did get tired but Maisie convinced him he was so we could stop. After changing I find a bright smiling Maisie at the door of the locker room.

"What could possibly make my beautiful girlfriend so happy if it isn't me" I tease and she smacks my chest.

"I'm kidding" I laugh pulling her close.

"So I just talked to the venue director here and... I got the job" she squeals and my eyes nearly pop out of my head. That was quick.

"Seriously? You're working here" I ask and she nods.

"Baby that's great" I exclaim as she stares into my eyes.

"Thanks for believing in me, and getting me the camera" she says.

"And thank you, for having dreams and letting me be a part of them."