17 Seconds

Jonathan

This year has been crazy and it's only half over. From getting hockey back and doing so good at the start, to having Mason and Sam blessing us with their presence, to this amazing play off run, it's been pretty incredible. But tonight we have a chance to do something that we haven't done since 2010, we can win a cup and bring it back home to Chicago. I would love to win at home, but I'm not going to be picky.

Everyone flew out on the off chance that we would win the cup tomorrow. Luckily Boston was a pretty great city and the night before the game we find a nice place to eat and try to relax. Emma, Patrick, and Henry join us as be find a burger joint by the water. My parents and Patrick's parents weren't here quite yet so it was just us kids with our kids. We sit outside on this warm Massachusetts night and thank god for where we are at and why we were here together.

"This is so cool" Sam whispers from across the table. It's probably been overwhelming going from a physically and mentally abusive household to traveling across the nation to witness history but he hasn't taken a second for granted. I can just see it.

"I think a place like this could do you some good. Traveling is healthy for the soul" I tell him and he nods. We continue to eat and I actually did chill out a little, that's surprising given the circumstances. Maisie was rubbing my leg which was relaxing and arousing at the same time, but she knew exactly what she was doing.

"Regardless of what happens the next few days it's going to be crazy, you ready" I ask lacing my fingers through hers under the table.

"Hopefully. But we are in a whole different city who has a different way of doing these things. The people here aren't exactly fond of us. A lot of terrible things could happen and we just flew our four month old to watch a hockey game and maybe chill in the Stanley cup. I'm tired and not even sure I'm awake right now, but I couldn't be more excited for the future. No matter what happens I want you to know we have each other. Win or lose you're number one to me and our growing family. You were able to give Sam a opportunity of a life time and Jackson can finally see a rink that isn't his own. No matter what, you win. You hear me" she asks pulling my face down to hers.

"Loud and clear" I smirk causing her to giggle.

We get to the game the next day and I see the little section of red and white in a sea of black and gold. Maisie had tonight off and I was kind of thankful, I loved seeing her up there with everyone else. I warm up and talk to Patrick like always.

"I'm not going to lie, I'm kind off nervous" he admits.

"You? Nervous? Oh the gates of heaven must have opened up because THE Patrick Kane has admitted weakness" I tease and he rolls his eyes.

"Shut up Captain Ass Hole, there's a lot ridding on this" he defends.

"Dude, you won this thing for us last time and if we win you would probably be MVP. What could you possibly be nervous about" I ask.

"I don't know. This isn't exactly the easiest thing to win. It's the hardest trophy in professional sports to win actually, and we're trying to do it for the second time in four years" he sighs.

"We're not those nineteen year old rookies anymore Pat. We're much better that that. This team, it's meant for a championship. Every player and coach and wife and child knows that this team has what it takes, but if we doubt ourselves it will be that much harder" I tell him.

"I know. I just really want to win and get married so it will all be over" he whines.

"Still complain like when we were nineteen too" I mumble and he lightly hits his shoulder against mine.

"Thanks for the advice, I needed that" he admits.

"Ant time, now lets go win this thing" I smirk and he nods.

With less than five minutes left in the third we were down by a goal looking for the equalizer. It looked like yet another epic game seven at the United center was inevitable at the point. To the people not sitting on this bench at least. Us guys, we didn't want that, we wanted to be done. We tried cramming so many games in such a short amount of time that it was obvious to these teams. But Crow made sure we always had a chance to win every game and he's done so tonight. If we were going to win it it would be because of him and everyone knows it. He gets pulled for a extra attacker and I join Patrick and his line out on the ice. He chips and chases the puck while, surprisingly enough, working along the boards. The puck squeaks out and eventually it ends up to me. I was close to the net so a shot didn't seem feasible, instead I pass to Bickle who was having himself quite the post season. He shoots the puck past Rask and the game was now tied. It looked like yet another over time was heading our way instead of a game seven. At least we were being consistent in that. I sit on the bench as the fourth line goes out and causes havoc like always.

All it took was 17 seconds. In that short amount of time we go from a almost certain game seven to being seconds away from lifting the cup once again. The bench goes crazy as Bolland send the puck past Rask and gives us the lead late in the third. Now we had to keep the puck out of our end for the next minute then some and we would be victorious.

I take the ice and try my best to keep the puck on my tape. I never do make it into the open cage but did well enough to keep them stifled. Five minutes ago this whole place was jumping, they thought they had forced a game seven and could win it all. Then in seconds the life was sucked out of this place as our things laid on the ice. Gloves and sticks and helmets were everywhere as we celebrated with Corey who was insanely good. After a mini celebration we do the handshake line and they announce the MVP. To no ones surprise Patrick won and he could just add this to his collection of things he's done like no one before him. Finally they bring up the cup and I do what I've wanted to since 2010. I lift the cup high above my head to a mostly empty area and let out a scream. It's been a long shortened season with a lot of ups and downs. We set records and set the record straight. This team wasn't done yet, in fact we were just getting started. As the trophy gets passed around I let out a large sigh, I try to take in everything here. What it looks like, feels like. It was like a dream but I was defiantly awake.

Eventually the families are let down and mine finds me quickly. They give the congratulations and Sam tries his best to walk on the ice. This wasn't our basement, that's for sure. I smile as Jackson laughs at him and Maisie finally pushes him towards my parents as I did interviews.

"Is that kid with you" a reporter asks pointing to sam slipping and sliding.

"Uh yeah, he's a good family friend. My son even" I smile as Jackson pushes him until he reaches the carpet.

"He's... different" they admit. I raise my eyebrow and look at their weirdly.

"Just because he's black doesn't mean he doesn't belong out on the ice or with my family. This isn't the 1960's. My family and I love and adore him, we treat his as our own, even if he doesn't look like any of us. That doesn't matter, his heart is what matters and it is set on making a difference in this world. Something we value very much in this family. And trust me, he will" I assure him.

"Sorry to upset you, I've just haven't seen him around. He must be important if you brought him out here for this though" he concludes.

"Like I said, he's a part of our family. And if you don't mind I would love to see mine" I say excusing to myself. Out of everyone Maisie seemed most happy. She kept saying she knew we could do it and she was so proud. I knew she was, but it's still nice to hear it. We take a bunch of pictures  and my favorite one is all of us with Mason in the cup and our family around him. This will defiantly go down as one of the best days of my life.