Queen Maisie

Jonathan

"Come on little man" I call out as Jacksons little legs catch up with mine and he grabs my hand. We were walking around Michigan Avenue looking for a birthday gift for Maisie. When she works either Nicole or I have him and since I had the day off from hockey I decided to take him off of Nicki's hands for the night and look for gifts. It was the late January now and he was all bundled up, he looked like a little marshmallow.

"I'm tired" he claims and I easily pick him up. We've been looking around for a while but it's hard finding a gift for someone who never asks for anything. We stumble into a little boutique store and browse around. They had a bunch of cool things, but I wasn't sure what to get. As I walk through the store I got a few ideas but I wasn't sure. 21 was a huge age but I doubt she would want to drink. She's too focused and responsible for that. As we walk around I see a really cool looking camera in a case and become drawn to it. I walk up to get a better look.

"Mommy camera" Jackson says and I laugh.

"Yeah buddy, I was thinking the same thing" I admit. A worker walks by and I get his attention. He was about fifty and looked to be the owner, dressed so nice and all.

"What can you tell me about this camera" I ask.

"It's a nice one. Someone just brought it in a few days ago. It still works and all, vintage but whoever had it took real good care of it" he says.

"That's cool, how much is it" I ask.

"One fifty" he replies and I let out a whistle.

"It's okay daddy, I'll get it" Jackson says and I send him a smile.

"Thanks Jack, but I got this one. You can get mommy something too though. Go look around but don't touch anything" I advise. As soon as his little feet hit the floor he was off.

"That your son" the guy asks getting the camera out as I watch him carefully.

"Uhhh yeah... he is" I finally say and the guy nods.

"He's adorable. Those eyes are going to do some damage" he laughs ringing up the camera.

"Don't I know it" I chuckle. I get the camera and the really adorable gift Jackson picked out then take him back to my place to wrap them up.

"Well if it isn't my favorite person" Patrick calls out as we walk through the door. Jackson runs into his arms as he gets whisked off to do god knows what. It's weird to see Patrick so caring and responsible, maybe I should get him a child.

"Be carful over there" I call out.

"Yes dad" they reply in unison and I shake my head. I get to my room and put the camera in a bag and his gift in a different one. We should be set.

The next morning I pick up balloons and flowers before grabbing the gifts and heading over to her place. The guys had something planned for her later but I wanted something of my own. I happily knock on the door and Nicole opens it with a huge grin.

"Oh you're good" she smiles pointing to the gifts and flowers. I come in and see Jackson on Maisie's lap watching Mickey Mouse.

"Dad" he screams jumping up and giving me a huge hug.

"Hey buddy. I've missed you. And here's your gift for mommy" I say giving him his gift and he runs back to Maisie before jumping into her lap.

"I got you a gift" he cheers and she looks over to me questionably. I'll explain it later. She opens it and pulls out a bunch of good smelling things and a tiara.

"Awww this is so cute! Why did you get me a tiara" she asks.

"Because you're my queen" he states putting it on her head and I see her eyes sparkle. All she wanted was for Jackson to think of her as a good mom, and she was a great one. He thought so too.

"Jackson that's so sweet of you, thank you" she says pulling him into a tight hug. She draws him a bath and once he's situated she comes back out and into my arms.

"Happy birthday baby girl" I whisper as she squeezes me tight.

"Hey, you okay" I ask and she nods her head.

"Don't you lie to me" I warn and she smiles.

"I'm fine, I swear" she claims and I let it go. We sit down on the couch and I hand her her present.

"What more could you possibly give me" she asks.

"You're going to have to look for yourself" I smirk. She takes out the stuffing paper before pulling out the camera. She lets out a gasp as she searches it over. I didn't know anything about cameras but that one looked cool.

"I've wanted this since I was a little girl. It's a one of a kind canon camera with everything still here. Every birthday and Christmas I hoped I would get it, but I never did. I can't believe you found this, it's so rare" she whispers.

"Jackson and I stumbled upon a little shop on Michigan avenue and, I don't know, I saw it and thought that it would be cool to start living your dreams. You're going to graduate soon and take on the world, and hopefully that camera will work for you" I shrug.

"It's everything I ever wanted, thank you" she says kissing me. She takes a few pictures of Jackson lost in the bubbles and him in a spider man onesie he got for Christmas. After messing around for a little we head out to the game.

"Happy birthday" the boys cheer as she walks into the locker room. Patrick insisted we did something for her and of course I helped him. There was a cake that said "happy birthday Maisie" on it and it looked really good. The guys loved her and cake, so it wasn't hard to get them in on it.

"Awww I love you guys so much" she smiles. Jackson comes over to us in Patrick's arms and he had on Patrick's helmet.

"Jackson buddy, I think that helmets a little bit too big" I say tapping it as it falls over his face. We save the cake for after the game and hopefully we can celebrate a victory too.

"You have a good day" Sharpy asks as we get ready.

"Yeah, I always have the best time with Jackson and Maisie" I admit changing into my pads.

"Who would have thought Captain Serious would have found a girl and a kid before me" Bolland jokes slapping my back.

"What can I say, I grow up fast" I tease.

We win the game against the Sabers 4-1 and move into a playoff spot. The locker room was buzzing with excitement, plus we're getting cake. The wives and girlfriends join us as she blows out her candles with a smile etched on her face. I take her camera and capture the moment before she returns under my arms. After the cake is passed out and consumed I drop her back off at home.

"Thanks for making this the best birthday ever. From the camera to the cake it was all so amazing" she goes on.

"Anything for you. You deserve so much more than I can give you. And I'm finally wearing you down so you'll accept the love you deserve" I smirk.

"You think I'm wearing down" she teases.

"Yeah. Soon enough I'll have you in my arms forever and it's going to be great" I smile.

"Well I can't wait" she replies kissing me. I pull her hips to mine as she tangles her fingers in my hair.

"I love you Queen Maisie" I smile and she hits my chest.

"I love you too."