Sea of Red

Maisie

It all happened so quickly, one second we were sure we were headed home for a game seven, the next one I was on the ice with my husband celebrating a Stanley Cup championship. Mason even got to chill in the cup for a while. Jon went out and celebrated with the boys after the game and I took myself and our tired kids home. That was a very emotionally exhausting experience for us and we were ready to sleep. Jon earned the right to celebrate with his boys, they played amazing.

One thing I've learned was that the city of Chicago knows how to party. I was only nine the last time the bulls won a championship but I was alive and well for the Sox and first Hawks parades. I might be a Cubs fan but us Chicago people need to stick together. It's not like the Cubs have given me much to cheer for, but I will always love my boys in blue.

As for today, I was ready to experience this parade with the people I love most.

"How many people do you think will be there" Sam asks putting on his Toews jersey. I keep telling Jon he's his good luck charm and it took him winning the cup to believe me.

"Millions. It's unlike anything you will ever see" I assure him.

"I can't wait until I can draw a crowd like that" Jackson says, his bright eyes shining.

"You will one day little man, I know it" I smile. He wants to be just like Jon when he gets older. A leader on the ice, looked up to by thousands, millions even. And I know that he will one day.

I get Mason ready and find him smiling up at me as I get him changed. He hasn't stopped smiling since he sat in that cup. He might only be four months old but he knows how cool that had to have been. Showing him those pictures when he gets older... it's going to be great.

"Why are you so happy" I ask tickling his sides causing him to smile wider.

"Looks like I don't have a Baby Serious after all" I joke. I got him ready while Jon took care of Everly and we get everyone loaded into a van. We drive over to the UC and Jon cleans out his locker.

"I'm kinda sad it's over" he admits stuffing his extra tape and other things in a bag. It was pretty empty but it was mostly memories he was collecting from here.

"You can't think of it that way. You have to remember you played over half the amount of games in less the amount of time that you usually have. What you guys accomplished this year in both the regular season and post season, that's going to live on forever. You set a record that will stand for a long time and the words "seventeen seconds" will never be uttered the same way again. It's not over quite yet, there's a few million people out there waiting to tell you that" I remind him.

"Yeah, just sad I know some guys aren't gonna be back" he shrugs.

"But they're here now" I reply and he smirks.

"You're right" he grins throwing a arm around me. We make our way out to the bus and find our seats.

"You might need your own bus" Patrick chirps as he makes his way to us.

"Wow, wins one conn smyth and he thinks he can crack jokes eh" I tease and he rolls his eyes.

"Always sassy" he jokes back.

"Only for you" I smile. He and Jon go out and they get handed the trophies. Jackson and Samuel and Henry get to hold it above their heads while I snap some pics. Soon enough the bus start moving and we make our ways to our seats. Jon holds Everly and Jackson sits himself in my lap. Mason has made his home in the cup, it's not his fault he fits perfectly. I sit with my hand in Jons and he kisses the back of it before setting our hands between us. I look over to him and smile. The fact he's still giving me all this attention when there's such an amazing thing going on around us, that's the kind of love every girl dreams of. He could have ignored me, hold it above my head that he's done this great thing, but every second he reminds me that he loves and cares for me and I appreciate every little thing.

"Why don't you hang out with the guys" I suggest. After all they're the ones who won the best trophy in all of sports, not me.

"Because you're much more beautiful than they are" he jokes.

"I don't know, I think Seabies hair is better than mine" I tease.

"Maybe, but your eyes are a lot prettier" he smiles. Eventually he does get up and join the boys and I snap pictures. Everywhere you looked was red. In the streets, in trees, hanging out of buildings. It was crazy.

We arrive in grant park for the rally and everyone files off the buses. I go with my family into the crowd and watch amongst the fans, we were fans too after all. Although Kris wasn't here to serenade the people with his amazing voice like last time we did get quite the speech from Corey Crawford. I can't wait for one of my kids to walk around yelling "fucking right chicagoooo" because neither Jon or I would complain. As the extremely drunk hockey players find their way off the stage I find mine and he quickly places a kiss on my cheek.

"I missed you" he smiles causing me to giggle.

"You were up there for like thirty minutes" I laugh wiping his slobber off my cheek.

"I know, but I still would rather have you out there with me" he insists.

"That's sweet" I reply kissing him back. We get a ride back to the UC and load the van up yet again to head home. Mason was getting crabby and Everly decided now was the time to learn to walk on her own. That's nice and all, but I would her rather not do it along the fences at grant park separating her and millions of people.

We get home and quickly put a cranky Mason down for a nap, Everly gets a bath and the boys all head to the pool. They all lay in floaties just soaking up the sun. It's been a crazy few days but it's kind of nice to finally be able to let it sink it. We had watched some amazing hockey lately and the boys deserved everything they got. I'm so proud of what they accomplished and have a respect to the people who help them off the ice. The crew, the coaches, the wives and kids, parents or hockey heroes, everything that allowed these guys to do what they do. It's not easy, but man is it really cool.