'Twas the Night Before Christmas

Jonathan

We pull up to my old house in Winnipeg as snow lightly falls onto the already covered ground. It was Christmas Eve and it was beautiful. I look in the back of the car we rented to see Jackson passed out in the car seat during the short drive from the airport to the house.

"We're here" I announce as Maisie gets used to her surroundings. She carefully picks Jackson up making she he's comfortable and I grab our things as we head up to the door. Before I get a chance to knock the door swings open and my mom stands there with the biggest smile ever.

My mom has been waiting so long for this moment. At least that's what she keeps telling me. As soon as I mentioned a girl she was ready to fly down to meet her. For as long as I've lived it's always been about hockey. She pestered me about finding a nice girl since I was fourteen and I finally found one. Half the time she called to hear about Jackson and Maisie and not about the team, but I didn't care. I love talking about them. My parents understand her situation, what not to say and that it might take some time for Jackson to warm up to them. But once he does we might not be able to get him to leave.

"Hi momma" I smile and she pulls me into a bone crushing hug.

"Awh Jonathan I've missed you so" she says into my ear.

"Missed you too. Mom, this is my beautiful girlfriend Maisie and her son Jackson" I introduce. Jackson clings onto Maisie for his dear life and she rubs his back. He did just wake up after all.

"It's a pleasure to meet you" Maisie says giving her the best hug she could with Jackson on her hip.

"It's nice to finally meet you too" my mom smiles before welcoming us in. I set our things down and take Jackson in my arms.

"Hey buddy, these are my parents. They aren't going to hurt you, I promise" I say and he nods his head. I set him down and he sets out to either find food or toys. I see him go to the back and hope my dad doesn't scare him off. My mom and Maisie start talking and I join in their conversation.

"What are you guys talking about" I ask.

"I was asking your mom her secrets on raising a strong and intelligent young man" Maisie claims and I feel a blush form.

"That's very sweet of you to say" I say kissing the top of her head.

"Where have you been hiding this one" my mom jokes and I roll my eyes. We talk for a little before Jackson comes running over with the biggest smile on his face. Not too far being him was my dad chasing him. My dad catches up to him and flings him over his shoulder before placing him back on his feet. Maisie stands shocked as the little boy asks to do it again and again and again.

"Hey squirt, I see you found my dad" I laugh and he giggles.

"Hockey" he cheers and I look to my dad questionably.

"I might have showed him the rink out back" he says sheepishly.

"Great, now I know where to find him the next two days" Maisie laughs.

"I know how that goes" my mom says nudging her. I introduce Maisie to my dad before we all get our skates on and head out to the ice.

"Alright Jack Attack, lets see what you got" my dad calls out. Jacks been skating for only a month but he's been doing great. My dad runs drills with him like he did with me at that age and it all comes back. I could see it in his eyes how much he loves being out here much like I did those cold nights.

I warm up before skating up behind Maisie and grabbing her hips then pushing her forward. Her small hands wrap around my wrists tightly and I let out a deep laugh.

"Jonathan I swear if you push me down" she warns with a giggle.

"I got you, you gotta trust me" I tease.

"I trust you" she says and her grip loosens. I pull her close so we end up spinning around before coming to a stop.

"That was fun" she giggles and I place a kiss on her lips.

"I love you so much" I remind her.

"I love you too" she smiles. After about three hours out in the brisk Canadian air we were popsicles and went inside to thaw out.

"Mommy! Can you make hot chocolate" Jackson shivers.

"If it's okay with Andreé and Bryan" she says turning to my parents.

"Of course, I can help" my mom offers and they disappear into the kitchen.

"Daddy daddy! Can we play with Spiderman" Jackson asks jumping up and down.

"Go change into your PJ's then bring out your toy bag and we can play" I instruct and he happily runs down the hallway.

"It's weird to hear him call you dad" my dad laughs as we sit in the couch.

"It was weird for me at first too, but Jackson is a great kid. He's so smart and kind, it's hard not to love him. He deserves to have a father figure and I hope I'm doing a good job" I admit.

"From what I see he adores you. And he's got talent. I see in him what I see in you. That fearless feeling when he's on skates, like no one could touch him. It's charming" he chuckles.

"He's a special kid, that's for sure" I reply. Jackson puts on Spiderman pajamas before joining my dad and I on the floor. We played until my mom and Maisie comes out with hot chocolate.

"Wow Mae, this is delicious" my dad says nearly drinking it all in one gulp. I don't know what she puts in there but it's soooo good.

"Thanks! I might have left Andreé the recipe" she replies with a wink. After we all polished off our cups we sit around the fire as Maisie reads The Night Before Christmas per Jacksons request and we all listen intently. Jackson sits in my lap while Maisie sat in the reclining chair and reads it to us. I haven't heard this story in forever, I forgot how much I loved it. Eventually Jackson falls asleep in my lap, he didn't get to nap today so he was exhausted. I place him in my old bed and tuck him in. I kiss his forehead and tell him goodnight before heading to the room we were staying in. Maisie changed into silk sleepwear and I nearly fall over. Her long black hair in a bun on top of her head. We haven't slept together before but we were both too tired to think about it. I change and brush my teeth before joining her in bed. I've never spent a whole night with a girl before, but I'm glad she's the first and hopefully only one. She shivers a little beside me and I turn over to face her.

"Are you cold" I ask and she nods. I pull her close so we were chest to chest and wrap my arms around her. I rub her back as she cuddles into me.

"Better" I ask and she nods. As her breathing evens out I place a kiss on top of her head before I fall into a slumber.