6. Tutoring and Mistakes

Maya's POV

The weekend is uneventful between homework and my awful hangover from Friday. I'm actually thankful for school today but my thankfulness is quickly dashed as I walk in to find Charlie leaning against my locker.

"Hey baby how was your weekend?" he asks making me roll my eyes as I push him over, opening my locker.

"We broke up. Therefore, that is none of your business" I snip as I pull out my history stuff before slamming my locker shut.

"Sticks and stones baby. Come on, how long is it gonna take to get your lips back where they belong?" he asks making me look at him in disgust.

"I thought we got rid of you when my girlfriend rejected you" Lucas says as he walks up to me making a smile pull at my lips.

"So you and Riley are still together?" Charlie asks confused.

"Of course we are" Riley smiles as she throws her arm around her boyfriend. "Get lost" she adds making Charlie roll his eyes and making me laugh.

"I love you guys" I smile as the bell rings, making us start our trek to history class.

"So Maya, can you tell me why Bridget brought me home on Friday?" Riley asks causing me to shrug.

"Josh gave me a ride home. I had a long night" I reply nonchalantly. "It's not a big deal."

"Mhm" she replies making me roll my eyes as I sit at my desk.

"Riley if it wasn't for your uncle, Friday could've been one of the worst nights of my life. He is an ass most of the time but he's not all bad."

"Oh my god. Please tell me you are not falling for this. I put you back together the first time Maya. If you let yourself fall for his games, I don't know if I can pick up the pieces when it falls apart again."

"Riley. I'm not falling for anything" I assure her even though my heart was insisting the exact opposite.

~ 📚 ~

Josh's POV

"I have a test tomorrow. Help" Maya says bluntly as she sits at our usual table, taking me by surprise that she actually wanted me to tutor her.

"You want my help?" I ask in shock making her laugh as she nods her head.

"You are my tutor right?" she asks making me smile as I grab her book and turn to the chapter review.

"Do a few of these problems and I'll check the work" I instruct as she nods in understanding. We spend a little over ten minutes in silence until Maya clears her throat catching my attention.

"Something wrong?" I ask as I look up at her.

"Did you hookup with that girl?" she asks motioning to a girl behind me that seems to be staring incessantly at the back of my head. I remember her name is Rachel and I sigh as I turn back to face Maya.

"Made out with" I clarify. "Maya how many girls do you think I've fooled around with?"

"How many girls are in this school?" she teases making me shoot her an unamused look causing her to giggle. Her giggle was adorable.

"Funny" I smirk as I throw a pencil at her as Mike walks up to us.

"Josh my man. Low key thing at Molly's tonight" he informs me. Molly's was the place we went to get high, well my friends did. I've done it like twice, usually I just had a few beers and headed home.

"Okay. I'll stop by" I assure him before he walks off.

"Do you ever stop partying?" Maya asks causing me to shrug.

"What's the big deal? Drinking is a good stress reliever" I reply honestly.

"Just remember. Any girls and this is over" she reminds me making my heart drop. I could not screw this up again.

~ 📚 ~

This is bad. So very bad.

~ 📚 ~

Maya's POV

My phone rings loudly waking me up in the middle of the night. I turn on my bedside lamp and retrieve my phone from my nightstand, Josh's number flashes on my screen.

"Josh" I ask in confusion as I answer my phone drowsily.

"Maya. I can't drive. I'm drunk. Like really drunk. Maya I fucked up" he adds making my heart drop. He broke our deal. I knew he would. I was so stupid to think he wouldn't.

"Where are you?" I ask in annoyance as I sneak downstairs, grabbing my dad's car keys. He gives me the address and I quickly drive over to get him. I pull up to the house and there's loud music coming from inside and the smell of marijuana is hard to miss. I spot Josh sitting on the curb but he stands when he spots me. I unlock the doors as he reaches the passager side.

"Thanks" Josh says as he climbs in the car, smelling so heavily of alcohol that I think I'm going to be sick.

"Don't thank me" I reply snippily. "You are such an idiot" I sigh as I start driving. "Your brother is going to kill you."

"Thanks for the reminder mom" he snaps making me look over at him. "Mom" he repeats under his breath.

"Josh" I say carefully but I decide not to push it as I drive. Finally we pull up to the loft but he doesn't make a move to leave my car.

"I hooked up with someone" he confesses quietly causing my heart to sink at the confirmation of what he did.

"Why?" I ask in confusion. "Josh this tutoring thing was your stupid idea."

"I know" he sighs as he runs his fingers through his hair. "This is what I do Maya. I get drunk and I hook up with girls. You were right about me" he snaps as he opens his door and climbs out of the car. "Goodnight Maya."