25. Rumors and Parties

Maya's POV

The month passes slowly. I skip at least one day a week and I haven't showed up for a tutoring session since I met Alec. I'm sure he's nice but I'm just highly uninterested. It's getting chilly outside but apparently our gym teachers still think it's hot enough to have class outside since we're supposed to be running laps. Instead I'm hiding under the bleachers. I'm sitting on the ground staring at the e-vite I had gotten to Bridget's party on Friday. It was the last huge party before we went on Thanksgiving break.

Thanksgiving break. That would be a welcome reprieve from gossip. The latest was that Josh had actually cheated on me at the party, that I had caught him and ended it. Everyone was saying he was back with Bridget. I kept my headphones on and the volume high to get through the days. That and my talks with Riley. She had been a huge help in keeping my sanity though she was also keeping something from me, I could tell but I didn't push.

"You are certainly becoming quite the little rebel" Mike smirks as he wanders over to me, dragging me out of my thoughts.

"Is there something you want?" I ask in annoyance as I cross my arms over my chest.

"You going to Bridget's party on Friday?" he asks as I look at him confused.

"How the hell do you even know I got invited to that?"

"Bridge and I are close" he shrugs. "Close enough to know that she's been getting cozy with your man" he adds with a smirk. I roll my eyes. Thank you so much for reminding me.

"So what? I'm invited so she can shove her relationship with Josh in my face?" I ask in annoyance.

"Hey you said it, not me" he chuckles. "Maybe you'll meet some nice college guy" he suggests. "Come on Maya. What's the worst that could happen?"

~ 📚 ~

Josh's POV

"Leave me the fuck alone" I exclaim as I slide the ignore button across my screen for the thousandth time. I knew the rumors. I knew what Maya thought. That I was back with Bridget. The last thing I needed to do was add fuel to the fire by actually talking to her.

I'm working on an essay wishing that time would speed up even just a little bit. I was so sick of school. I couldn't wait for Thanksgiving break. It would give me a reprieve from the endless gossip train and maybe I could regain some sanity.

Riley and I had been trying to pin the pictures on Mike but it's a little hard when the teacher never leaves the classroom. In the past month the most progress we've made is finding the sign out sheet that proves he had the camera checked out on the night of the party.

"Please tell me you're going" Riley exclaims as she walks into the library, plopping down beside me.

"What are you talking about crazy?" I ask as I look up from my computer screen to look at her. "Going to what?"

"The party at Bridget's" she says. "Because Maya is going and she's only going because Mike wants her to and that combination of people scares the shit out of me."

"Mike and Maya? Since when are they hanging out?"

"Oh didn't you hear?" she asks sarcastically. "Mike is Maya's one and only source into the scandalous life of Joshua Matthews."

"First of all, that explains so much and secondly, lay off the Gossip Girl" I add making her roll her eyes.

"Whatever" she shakes her head. "You have to go."

"And do what? We aren't together anymore."

"But you could be if you would just stop being so damn stubborn" she complains. "Tell her our plan, maybe she could help us."

"And if Shawn finds out?" I ask as she rolls her eyes.

"He'll be happy that Mike didn't get his grubby hands on his little girl" Riley replies bluntly. "Josh come on. I don't trust him. You need to go and keep an eye on her. For me. Please Josh."

"Won't that just play into the rumor that I'm dating Bridget?"

"Keep an eye on Maya. Don't stick your tongue down Bridget's throat. Come on Josh this isn't rocket science."

"Okay" I give as I run my fingers through my hair. "I'll go but only because I'd never forgive myself if Mike hurt her."

"Thank you" Riley exclaims. "Now I'll let you get back to your essay. Love you."

"You too niece" I smile as she walks away.