20. Stay or Go

Maya's POV

I don't know if my dad knows I heard him lecturing Josh when he left on Saturday but I'm pretty sure by Monday morning it's clear I'm not exactly happy with him.

"Morning baby girl" my mom smiles as I sit beside her at the table.

"Morning" I smile as I look at her directly.

"Do you need a ride to school today?" she asks curiously as I sip my orange juice that was awaiting me when I sat down.

"Nope" I reply, popping the p as I glance over at my dad. "Josh is picking me up" I explain pointedly.

"Did he help you with your math?" my mom asks curiously. "I heard you trying to do it before you went out on Friday night. It sounded like the numbers were winning" she laughs lightly.

"It's funny because Josh doesn't even remember it that much" I reply honestly. "But yea he helped me as best he could" I shrug. "He's a pretty good tutor."

"Not bad looking either" my mom smirks as she bumps her shoulder into mine. "It's nice seeing you happy."

"Thanks mom" I smile as my phone dings. "That's Josh" I exclaim as I jump out of my seat. "I'll see you guys later" I shout over my shoulder as I rush out the door to Josh's car.

"Gorgeous you in a rush or something?" Josh laughs as he leans over the console to push open my door.

"To see you? Always" I smile as I slide into the passenger seat. "How are you today?" I ask worriedly as I reach for his hand. Today was his mom's birthday.

"Someone saw my calendar" he laughs lightly as he pulls out of my driveway. "I'm alright" he shrugs as he squeezes my hand. "Do you need help with anything today?" he asks curiously.

"No" I shake my head. "Why? You gonna ditch me?"

"The opposite actually. I'm going to see my mom today" he says softly as we stop at a red light. "I wanna bring you."

"Bring me? To your parents" I trail off as he chuckles, bringing my hand up to his lips.

"Graves Maya. It's not a bad word, I know they're gone" he assures me. "And yea I'd like to bring you. If you want to go. I mean I get it if you don't" he rambles but I squeeze his hand again to get him to shut up.

"I'd love to" I smile lightly. "You know they loved me" I smirk making him laugh as he looks down at me as we pull into the parking lot of the school.

"What's not to love?" he smiles making my heart swell as he parks the car and climbs out before taking my hand and walking me into school. "Meet me at my locker after class okay?" he asks as I nod.

"I'll be there" I assure him. "You sure you're okay?" I ask worriedly as we reach my locker. "You don't have to be here. I'm sure Topanga could get you excused."

"I'm good" he assures me. "Besides you aren't at my house" he adds making me laugh as I shake my head.

"My dad would kill me if I was" I reply in annoyance as I open my locker. "I heard his little speech on Saturday."

"Shit Maya. You weren't" he starts but I cut him off.

"I trust you. I don't know why everyone else is having such a hard time doing the same but I trust you. I know you aren't messing with me Josh."

"I'm really not" he says softly as he grabs my hand. "I love you."

"I love you too" I smile as I reach up to kiss him as the bell rings. I sigh as we pull apart. "I'll see you in a little bit. Text me if you need to bolt early" I smile as he chuckles.