50. Basic or Unique

Josh's POV

One of the hardest adjustments from living in a house with just me and my parents to living in a house full of people is remembering to shut my door when I'm doing something that could cause questions. I'm in the middle of ordering my suit for the upcoming dance when Riley's smug voice speaks up from behind me. "Whatcha doin'?" she asks teasingly. I slam my laptop shut and spin around in my chair to face her.

"None of your business" I reply causing her to quirk an eyebrow at me in intrigue. After Maya confirmed that she actually wanted to go to prom I knew I was going to ask her but I hadn't gotten around to it yet and the last thing I needed was for Riley to run off and ruin the surprise.

"Okay" she laughs, putting her hands up in surrender. "I'll leave you with your laptop" she smirks as she turns and leaves my room without another word. I sigh as I look at my laptop and back to my door. I push out of my chair and slip on my shoes before descending the small staircase and heading towards the front door.

"I'll be back" I shout over my shoulder to Topanga.

"Where are you off to?" she asks confused. "Did something happen? You seem to be in quite the hurry" she says in a concerned tone of voice.

I shoot her a reassuring smile as I pull on an NYU sweatshirt. "Everything's fine" I insist. "I just have a couple people I need to talk to" I add causing understanding to wash over her features.

"Okay" she smiles. "Be home before it gets too late please" she adds as she looks out the window at the setting sun.

"I will" I reassure her before exiting out of the loft and heading down to my car. I climb in and shut the door behind me, digging my phone out of my pocket before buckling my seatbelt. I pull up Maya and I's text thread and send her a quick message.

JOSH: You busy?

MY GIRL: Nope! What's up?

A smile tugs at my lips as I put the car in drive.

JOSH: Got a stop before your place but I'll be there soon 😊

I send off the text before dropping my phone into the cup holder and setting off. By now this drive has become routine and I'm able to make it in only a few minutes. I drive down the winding road towards their spot before parking and stepping out of my car. I bury my hands in the pouch of my sweatshirt as I make my way to the graves.

"Hey guys" I smile brightly as I sit between the two spots. "So guess what?" I ask excitedly after a moment of silence I chuckle at the obviousness of the fact that they won't guess. "Silly wording" I chuckle, "but nevertheless" I take a deep breath. "I'm going to prom in a few weeks" I smile. "I know that seems crazy. I mean in September if you would've told me that I would have gotten my girl back and that I'd possibly be this happy I would've told you both you were insane."

"But" I take a deep breath. "It's true. I have a girl that loves me and I have a life that I'm happy with. Finally" I sigh in relief. It felt so good to breathe without the weight of everything on my chest. "I'm actually on my way to ask her" I admit. "Nothing fancy because well that's not really her thing" I smile. "I really miss you guys. I hope that somehow you're both still here, watching me. And I really hope I'm not disappointing you guys." I take another long, deep breath before getting to my feet. "I love you guys" I smile, kissing my fingers and placing them on the two gravestones. I take one last long breath before heading back to my car.

I wind back down the road and out of the cemetery towards Maya's house. It takes me a little longer than usual since I'm battling a few stray tears but I manage and get there not too late. I climb out of the car and make my way towards the door but decide better and head to her window. I knock twice before it opens and my gorgeous girl stands on the other side with a wide smile on her face. "Took you long enough."