16. Talks and First Dates

Maya's POV

I avoid my parents when I get home, hoping to avoid the Josh topic for as long as possible but when I wake up the next morning I know I can't avoid it anymore. I was going on a date with Josh today and I had to tell my parents.

I slip out of bed and throw on a robe before finding my way down to the kitchen. My mom is cooking breakfast while my dad is sitting at the table scrolling through the news on his cell phone. I take a deep breath before heading over to the fridge.

"Good morning" I smile as I grab the orange juice and a cup before pouring myself a glass.

"Morning. How was Riley's last night?" my mom asks curiously as I take a seat at the table.

"It was good. We talked a few things out" I add with a shrug while I take a sip of my juice.

"Things like Josh?" my dad asks bluntly causing me to nod slowly as I place my glass back on the table.

"Mhm" I nod as I purse my lips in a straight line.

"So is that like official now?" my dad asks, sounding annoyed at the thought. My heart drops. This was going to be a huge disaster.

"Yea" I reply honestly as my mom puts a plate of scrambled eggs in front of me. "He's kinda taking me on a date tonight" I add as I chance a look up at my dad while I grab my fork.

"A date?" my dad asks. "Maya this isn't a good idea."

"Yes it is. I like him, he's my boyfriend, and he's taking me on a date. He's coming in to talk to you when he gets here and you're gonna be nice."

"We'll see."

~ 📚 ~

Josh's POV

"You look nervous" Riley laughs as she appears in my doorway on Saturday afternoon while I'm getting ready for my date with Maya.

"I haven't been on an actual date in forever and it's with Maya. Of course I'm nervous" I reply quickly as I button my shirt.

"I pushed back my party again for Maya so she could go on this date, you better get it together" Riley says making me shoot her an annoyed glare.

"Thanks for not adding pressure Riles" I sigh as I plop down onto my bed while my niece comes to sit on my bed beside me.

"I'm sorry" Riley apologizes softly making me look up at her in shock.

"Sorry? Sorry for what?" I ask confused causing her to laugh lightly as she plays with her hands in her lap.

"For losing sight of the fact that you're my uncle. Josh you lost your parents and you started acting out and instead of realizing it was the grief I shut you out. I've been awful and it took you and Maya sneaking around for me to realize that. I will never stop being sorry for that."

"It's okay niece" I smile as I pull her in for a hug. "And thank you for finally giving me another chance."

"Don't make me regret it. Go get Maya and have fun" she smiles as we pull apart.

"I'll see you later" I reply as I hop off my bed.

~ 📚 ~

Maya's POV

Nervous doesn't begin to describe how I feel right now. Shawn was going to talk to Josh. I couldn't think of any scenario where this ended well.

"Deep breath baby girl" my mom whispers as she sits on the couch beside me while I'm waiting for Josh to get here.