46. Shopping and Surprises

Maya's POV

"Are you sure you have everything?" my mom asks as she stands in the doorway of my bedroom while I'm finishing up packing for my weekend away with Josh.

"Um" I look around the room, surveying the area. "I think so" I gnaw my bottom lip. There was one thing I didn't have but Riley and I were fixing that.

"Good" my mom smiles. "Are you excited?" she asks. If only she knew that this weekend was a couple's getaway and not a road trip with all our friends.

"I'm beyond excited" I reply honestly. I couldn't wait to get away with Josh this weekend. I was excited to get away from the stress of real life even if it's only for a little while. The doorbell rings and a smile pulls at my lips. "That's Riles" I exclaim as I grab my bag.

"Riley?" my mom questions as I brush past her and head downstairs.

"Yea. We're riding to school together" I explain. "The girls are all going in Riley's car and the boys are going in Josh's rental." In reality I couldn't take my car today because it would be left at school for two days and we couldn't risk coming here to drop it off so Riley was taking me today. And we weren't going to school.

"Oh, okay" my mom says with a shrug as my dad wanders down the stairs.

"You heading out kiddo?"

"Yep" I smile as I pull open the door and find Riley standing on the doorstep.

"Morning" she says brightly. My best friend, the ultimate morning person. "You ready to go peaches?" she asks.

"Mhm" I nod. "I'll see you guys on Sunday" I smile as I move to hug my parents. "Thank you so much for letting me go" I add happily.

"You're welcome sweetheart" Shawn smiles as we pull apart. "Have fun."

"I will" I assure them as I turn back around to face Riley. "Let's hit the road."

~ 📚 ~

"I don't know which ones to get" I gnaw my bottom lip as I stand in the middle of the family planning aisle at Target.

"Does it matter?" she asks, holding a box in her hands and flipping it over to read the back. I laugh and stare at the options in front of me.

"I mean it has to matter" I reply dazedly, "otherwise why would there be so many?" Riley shrugs and I let out a frustrated groan. "Maybe I'm not ready to have sex. Maybe this is how you know."

"I doubt people decide whether or not to have sex based on knowing the type of condoms they're supposed to buy" she laughs. "And I don't think there's a specific type you have to buy. As long as they keep Josh from knocking you up I don't think it really matters."

I sigh, running my fingers through my hair and looking up to find Bridget standing a ways down the aisle. "Oh my god" I exclaim as I hide behind Riley.

"What?" she laughs as she tries to turn to face me but I continue to follow her.

"Bridget" I whisper. She turns her head and her eyes widen.

"This is awkward" she laughs lightly.

"It's not awkward" I reply, "it's a disaster."

"She'd know what condoms Josh likes" she says making my heart drop. I grab the cart and storm out of the aisle. "Maya" she exclaims as she follows me. "I was just joking around."

"It's not funny" I turn on her in frustration. "She slept with my boyfriend. I don't need you to remind me" I sigh, running my fingers through my hair.