chapter 11

The news of Salma's escape had shaken her own family. But it hadn't disturbed them any more than the Ibrahims. They had also been shaken to the core. But one of them, was happy things didn't go as planned. How amazing. You could dream of doing something and the next day, everything will change. Indeed, Allaah works in mysterious ways. We might be making our own plans whiles He's already made His towards us and there's no way our own plans can surpass His. We just have to accept it with gratitude and enthusiasm as the best thing for us.

Samira shrugged thinking of all these. Initially, when Najwa's dad had called to hesitantly inform them of the situation, she had been really shocked. But the shock disappeared as soon as it came. Because, it's no longer a surprise if it's coming from Salma. It was to be expected of a cunning and manipulative person like her.

Samira's parents had been very much shocked as well. They never anticipated such situation. It was a hard blow they took well though. They had been calm and collected. And more especially, when the head of the Abubakr family had suggested Najwa, his youngest daughter as a replace for the runaway bride, they had been beyond perplexed but deep within them they were happy. At least, this way, even though unfortunate, their son will get what he doesn't know he wants. When the news of Salma to be replaced by Najwa got to Samira, she had screamed out of excitement such that it caught her cousins who had come for Adam's nikaah's attention. But the rest of the family including the cousins and the aunties hadn't been informed of the happenings. Only the closest family like Bilaal's father and Samira's grandmother had been told. They had also accepted the news well and approved of Najwa based on her attitude during her short visit for Samira's Nikaah in the previous weeks.

All these important members of the family had heard the news except one. The one whom it most concerns. The groom himself. Adam was oblivious to all that was happening. He was in the mood of excitement and enthusiasm because within some few hours he will migrate from the land of bachelorhood to that of marriage. And he couldn't wait any longer. So when his father called him on the phone and demanded to see him immediately at his study for an important news as he sat with his friends amidst their teasing, he had been absolutely baffled and a little bit scared because of the anxiety he sensed in his father's voice. Yet, he excused himself from among his friends and went ahead to see his father.

He had been hesitant to get in when he got to the door to his father's study. He didn't know why but he wasn't feeling well within and something was telling him something was wrong somewhere and that the news he's going to receive wasn't going to be a pleasant one. Despite the thought that run through his handsome head, he knocked and entered when he was ushered in.

His father, mother and grandmother were the only ones that were present in the room when he entered. He said salaam upon them and they responded with a voice that wasn't happy enough for a nikaah such as his. Definitely, there was something wrong. His guts has to be right. Otherwise, what will explain the sad faces and the awkward stares he was getting from them. A nikaah was supposed to bring happiness and strengthen the bond of a family. If there wasn't a problem he wouldn't be called in isolation at a crucial and most important occasion of his life just for a news. He guessed the news was related to the nikaah. If not, why couldn't the news wait for after his nikaah. Subhanallah, he just hoped nobody died. Or that nothing happened to his bride. Suddenly, he begun to sweat and was a little bit confused as well as anxious and nervous. As if he was about to be handed to an executioner for a sin he didnt know he's committed. His father's voice seemed far away when he asked him to sit down. He was going to refuse. But then he decided to do as instructed. Maybe the news to be given to him might get him off his feet, he thought.

His father cleared his throat before he proceeded to talk. That was a sign. A sign that his father was nervous about something.

"Son, there is something you should know that has happened over there at the Abubakrs. But I want to remind you that, Allaah had it planned because It's the best for you. I want to remind you again as the good muslim that you are to be grateful and thankful to Allaah in good and in bad." His father advised. Adam nodded his head and whispered an In shaa Allaah. At this point he knew what was coming wasn't going to be good news but he has to accept and be grateful just like his father advised. Again, he hoped nobody died.