Chapter 14

Najwa sat in deep thought on her bed in the guest room after their visitors had left with the grandmother not failing to emphasize her desire to spend the next night there in their apartment. She was alone in the apartment because the siblings had also gone to escort their mother who was on her way back home. Her mind was working beyond its capacity just to bring out a laudable excuse in order to prevent what is now obvious. Which is the fact that she now has to move in to her husband's room. Something she's so unprepared for, both mentally and physically, eventhough she's been thinking of giving them a chance. But that was too much of a shove. She would have to do something about it. Anything to prevent that from happening.

Ok, what if she goes home to her dad with a convincing excuse? No, she isn't a liar and besides, her dad's was so far away. Plus, she couldn't leave grandma unattended. That would somehow cause problems for her especially considering grandma's love for food. And that is even uncouth. It would seem she wasn't brought up well. And besides, it is sunnah to be hospitable to visitors and be kind to family. Grandma was their visitor and she was family as well.

She sighed loudly and leaned on her pillow exhausted from trying to bring out an effective plan to avoid sharing a room with her husband. If only Salma was here, she would have just gone to her. But even if Salma was around, she would have been the professor's wife and mot her. And if not, her sister will so not allow her to perch with her.

Sadness enveloped her heart as thoughts of Salma and her husband together consumed her. Why was she torturing herself by even thinking that? Her heart bled of jealousy anytime she did. And these thoughts always manage to discourage her from working towards the success of her marriage. But then again, Samira was right. Salma had emphatically stated in the letter she left when she eloped that she didn't love him. And again, she had given him to her on a silver platter, saying she and him look better together. Which meant she wouldn't be betraying her sister if she gave Adam a chance. But the problem was that, Adam had fallen for Salma and not her and had even planned to marry her. What if Adam never learns to love her? Yet still, she has to give it a try because she will never know what will happen. Success is with Allaah and so what she has to do is make du'a. Her responsibilities as a wife need not be left undone. She definitely doesn't want to provoke His wrath just because of her pride.

Her mind again went to Adam and goosebumps run down her spine. Allaah has indeed put his love in her heart. She knew how awestruck he was when she had taken her niqaab off.

Throughout her life, she hadn't had any man so openly admire her. Her father and her uncle had been the only ones to openly tell her she was pretty but she always thought they were flattering her because they loved her so much. Salma always made her know she was ugly and unattractive and too thin for her own good. But Adam's open admiration and unblinking stare made her think twice because she actually felt beautiful within her. And her husband made her feel that way.

And when he had touched her, what she had felt was indescribable. But she was glad it was him who evoked such feelings from her because he was the right person to do that. He's her husband and the love of her life. Only Allaah knows how nervous she was at that moment. Her temperature had risen to the extent that she could be mistaken to have caught a fever. But it was all because of her husband's touch and his whispers into her ears. What it did to her insides, she wished someone could see it. But she has to keep it to herself. Especially from her manipulative friend and sister-in-law. Because Samira was unpredictable and besides that, she will also build her hopes about her and Adam so high. She'd better not know.

Coming back to sharing a room with him. It was just too much and.. and too early. It's not that she's trying to conjure excuses but considering what she felt when he touched her, being with him in the same room was going to be a problem. Eventhough he was now halaal for her, but but...