Cold Chicken

"You said you were going to be here on time." he hears a voice coming from the end of the hallway and instantly smiles. The High King tilts his head to the side, locking his eyes on the thin shape of the woman five meters away from him, more or less. He was about to smile when he notices she was indeed, serious. 

He walks towards her, noticing how she crossed her arms against her chest, her lips in a thin line. Maybe this time she would not play it nice, and he stops, standing still with both hands falling to his sides. 

"I know. I know I am late, but there was nothing I could really do. You know how the council can take hours and hours to come up with a conclusion." he says, not as an excuse, because that was the truth. He would rather spend hours with (y/n) than in boring meetings to discuss how to treat the giants on the north. But he knew that was necessary, small sacrifices he had to do as a King, and he hoped she would understand that. 

"I am aware of that, yes." she says, pouting a little, what he considered a bless. Still, she had that expression of dissapointment, and he hated that. 

"But?" he asks, reaching both of his hands to hold hers. She does not protest, but changes the weight of her body from one leg to the other, clearly agitated. 

"The food got cold." 

He furrow his eyebrows. He did not know they were having dinner together, he thought they were just meeting for a walk. Then he realizes why she had got so upset with the fact he was late. She had prepared something for them, a dinner, perhaps even a romantic one, and he was late. 

"Oh" that is all that he says for a while and she stares at him, dumbfounded. 

"Oh." she repeats his expression of surprise, in a sarcastic tone. "That is all you have to say? I spent all afternoon preparing that chicken." He holds back a laughter, seeing it would not be of much help right now - it would only make things worse. 

"I mean-" he cleans his throat. "I don't mind eating cold chicken." he smiles and soon sees a smile grow on her lips. He slowly leans down, kissing her lips briefly before placing his arm around her shoulders. "Lead the way."